Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where and how to mount my Hi Lift Jack

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 07:29 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where and how to mount my Hi Lift Jack

I was wonder what you guys did, i just recently bought a Hi Lift jack during Black Friday and i dont know where to put it! I was thinking either on my front Grill guard (It is the factory one) or on my roof rack (this is a aftermarket Voyager rack).

Old 11-27-2015, 07:42 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 969 Likes on 645 Posts

I mounted mine on my roof rails. If you follow the write ups link in my signature and then follow the DIY Hi-lift Jack Mount link you can see how I mounted mine.

The following users liked this post:
Roont (02-19-2024)
Old 11-27-2015, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,281 Likes on 1,681 Posts

On my D1 I had back in the day I bought a set of PIAA light clamps that allowed me to mount the hi lift to the upper hoop on the OEM Land Rover brush guard. I honestly hate mounting a hi lift up high. First it's dangerous if it falls, or someone slips. Then they all eventually rust and you'll get rust stains on your paint. I mount them as low as I can get them or I throw it inside the vehicle.

Old 11-27-2015, 08:58 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

So, I have a question about actually using the Hi-Jack. I have one and am petrified every time I need to use it. On my 01 I jam it into the front of the ARB, works fine. In the rear I jam it into the receiver on the hitch. Again, works fine. But in both locations I find the truck very unstable in the air.

Anyway, my question is, can you use one to lift a truck that does not have steel bumpers? I just realized there is no lift point on my 04's stock front bumper. I guess I'll just pick up a larger bottle Jack.

FYI. I'm lifted ~3.5" or so.

Old 11-27-2015, 09:06 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by coors
Anyway, my question is, can you use one to lift a truck that does not have steel bumpers? I just realized there is no lift point on my 04's stock front bumper. I guess I'll just pick up a larger bottle Jack.
On mine (also lifted 3.5") I have the molding under the doors removed, so I can sit mine directly on the door frame beside the b-pillar and it lifts fine from there without bending anything. You can also get a lift mate (here's you a link) which attaches to your rim without damaging the finish, then you can sit a jack stand under an axle if you need to change a flat. I also have a Torin 2 ton bottle jack that can reach both the axles and the radius arms if I need it to, but I love the hi-lift.

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Then they all eventually rust and you'll get rust stains on your paint.
I have noticed some rust already running down on my paint despite my trying to keep the jack coated in WD40. I'll probably buy some smaller exhaust clamps and move it to the brush guard or weld up some kind of mount to go in front of (behind? At the face of.) the spare tire like this truck.

Last edited by Alex_M; 11-27-2015 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:09 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another thing I forgot to mention is I plan on storing it in my garage when I'm not four wheeling or other things like that since I don't want it to get stolen or all rusty. Would this be a good idea? I know I won't have the look factor or the random uses.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,281 Likes on 1,681 Posts

When I had it mounted on my front brush guard or ARB front bumper I had it bolted down. I DO NOT trust those quick release setups with something that heavy. Fine for the trail, but I'd hate to be in an accident and watch it fly thru the car in front of me. I used the largest Grade 8 bolts I could put thru it to secure it.

If I was parking somewhere over night that I didn't trust I'd wrap it with a cable lock. Rust wise I tried everything. WD40, the Hi Lift sleeve (UV Rays killed that 30.00 thing in less than a year....), and the last thing was spraying it down with a coat of clear coat from top to bottom. That worked until you used it and knocked the clear coat off.

Old 11-28-2015, 05:24 PM
Camel Trophy

What if you were to intentionally patina it or perhaps blue it like a gun? I wonder if that would work?