Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whoops

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 06:40 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Whoops

So I had a rattling catalytic converter. I picked up a MagnaFlow Y pipe with new cats and replaced all 4 O2 sensors. Everything went smoothly until I was positioning the new Y pipe. I touched something with the passenger side manifold of the Y pipe and sparks shot everywhere. Not sure what I bumped. It was under the passenger side exhaust header.

So after getting everything mounted and tightened, it seems I'm not getting any leaks but damn I've got 7 codes now! Did I short 4 new O2 sensors? The Disco is running fine. I checked all the connections, cleaned them, they all look good. I got the right sensors in the right locations.

Things to make you say "Hmmm..."

Codes:
P0154
P0155
P0135
P0141
P0161
P1174

Old 03-24-2015, 06:57 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Good job. You touched the starter lead. Is the CEL on ? doing this off my phone so don't have RAVE access.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:29 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by dgi 07
Good job. You touched the starter lead. Is the CEL on ? doing this off my phone so don't have RAVE access.
Check engine light is on yes. I'm gonna get the codes tomorrow or Thursday. I'm gonna be pissed if I fried 4 new O2 sensors

Old 06-09-2015, 06:19 PM
Three Wheeling

I'm back and working on this. I got everything mounted and the Disco is running great, however, I'm still getting O2 heater circuit errors. I again replaced the O2 sensors and continue to get P0135, P0155, P0141, P0161. I've cleaned all the connections.

The sensors I used were on the cheap. Generic. Is the Land Rover really that fussy? Spose I could try a set from Atlantic British...

Maybe I'll just leave it and try to ignore the CEL since it's running nicely. ;-)

Last edited by jobooth; 06-09-2015 at 06:30 PM.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:48 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

You might have melted some of the insulation on the wires or the connectors. You should inspect the wiring carefully. Also if you have a live data reader maybe check the voltage on the O2 sensors.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Dumb question were those codes there before you did the work? If so did you clear them after you did the work?

Old 06-10-2015, 06:15 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jobooth
Check engine light is on yes. I'm gonna get the codes tomorrow or Thursday. I'm gonna be pissed if I fried 4 new O2 sensors
You could try checking the voltage on the heater circuit. I'm not sure what else may be linked to the heater circuit, if anything. Sometimes it's just a blown fuse. I've seen this a couple times when people install o2 sensors with the wiring too close to hot or moving parts and it wears or burns the insulation off and shorts out the power to the o2 heaters. I've even seen them burn up the circuit in the computer. It's not very common, fortunately! I'd check all the fuses first and maybe you'll get lucky!
Good Luck!

Old 06-15-2015, 11:31 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

How long have you been driving it for since the repair? I replaced cats and O2's last year and went through a solid month or 2 of various codes. Eventually they all went away. All were related to front and rear O2 sensors. It's been fine ever since.

Old 06-16-2015, 03:26 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Defo touched the starter live terminal. TIP ALWAYS disconnect the negative to the battery before working on anything on a truck and make sure you have the radio code first. Is the truck cranking and starting OK? Publish the codes in full (many won't bother to look up the code numbers and just move on) you have read as it may have nothing at all to do with the short circuit.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:35 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Defo touched the starter live terminal. TIP ALWAYS disconnect the negative to the battery before working on anything on a truck and make sure you have the radio code first. Is the truck cranking and starting OK? Publish the codes in full (many won't bother to look up the code numbers and just move on) you have read as it may have nothing at all to do with the short circuit.
Where do you get the radio code? When I bought my Rover it was sitting for 4 yrs and I installed a new battery and did not have the the code issue, radio plays fine. Just wondering for down the road if i ever have the radio code issue. Thanks