Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's done an auto transmission change?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 09:05 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Who's done an auto transmission change?

Thinking of buying an 01 with a bad tranny. Comes with the new one. Just needs to be installed. Just curious about procedure. No U-tube that I can find. Never done an auto tranny before, especially in a disco
Thanks

Old 12-22-2017, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Vasileff
Thinking of buying an 01 with a bad tranny. Comes with the new one. Just needs to be installed. Just curious about procedure. No U-tube that I can find. Never done an auto tranny before, especially in a disco
Thanks
Easy in my book, I did it in my driveway with a stock height 03 D2 on the ground. I only raised it up to remove the old destroyed transmission/transfer case & to slide the replacements back under it. Start from the back & work your way forward. Remove center console, shifter plate (held in with PITA rivets), then once you have the rear support removed along with the transmission/transfer case mounts you can lower it down far enough to get the bellhousing bolts loose, then drop it using a harbor freight transmission jack.It took me a week in total due to weather, work, and I just took my time. Actual work time if I’d stuck with it was maybe 7-10hr job from start to finish including filling the transmission and testing everything.

The following users liked this post:
Greg Vasileff (12-22-2017)
Old 12-22-2017, 03:38 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,188 Likes on 850 Posts

Pretty straight forward, if you've ever changed a trans before. The crossmember can be a bit*h, bolts are normally rusted solid and have to be heated to remove.

Anyhow...

Jacked up rover and set on jack stands, dropped the y-pipe (required heating manifold nuts), remove both driveshafts, remove crossmember (required heat), disconnect parking brake drum/assembly, removed both trans mounts, removed torque converter bolts through access hole beneath starter, remove the 14 bell-housing bolts, remove shifter and hi-lo cables and wiring harnesses...and lowered trans down with a floor jack (not perfect tool for the job, but the trans was junk). Unbolted the transfer case from the trans and left it under the rover, hung by ratchet straps. But, if I ever did it again...I'd pull the whole thing as one assembly.

Didn't remove the center console, so not to sure about why Best4X4 did that? Maybe it makes something easier that I struggled with?

Brian.

Old 12-22-2017, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Pretty straight forward, if you've ever changed a trans before. The crossmember can be a bit*h, bolts are normally rusted solid and have to be heated to remove.

Anyhow...

Jacked up rover and set on jack stands, dropped the y-pipe (required heating manifold nuts), remove both driveshafts, remove crossmember (required heat), disconnect parking brake drum/assembly, removed both trans mounts, removed torque converter bolts through access hole beneath starter, remove the 14 bell-housing bolts, remove shifter and hi-lo cables and wiring harnesses...and lowered trans down with a floor jack (not perfect tool for the job, but the trans was junk). Unbolted the transfer case from the trans and left it under the rover, hung by ratchet straps. But, if I ever did it again...I'd pull the whole thing as one assembly.

Didn't remove the center console, so not to sure about why Best4X4 did that? Maybe it makes something easier that I struggled with?

Brian.
I removed center console to get access to all the wiring on top of the transfer case. Real PITA from just the bottom of the D2. Makes it much easier & makes putting all the wiring back into their original position easy along with the fuel/vent lines. I removed the transmission & transfer case.

The Deputy (12-22-2017)
Old 12-22-2017, 06:49 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

I've don't it, too, but probably not as efficiently as the other posters. It is just a bolt off, bolt on operation, but there are a lot of bolts and the crossmember bolts alone can consume a full morning if they are seized. I found it much easier with the truck higher off the ground (using regular jackstands) and unless your muscles are bigger than mine (quite likely) a Harbor Freight transmission Jack is worth the money, with a coupon.

Old 12-23-2017, 04:58 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

The easiest way is a 4 post vehicle lift or failing that very high axle stands, say 75cm high. Don't forget to restrain the torque converter from coming out so make up a small Z bracket first. Start at the back end and work towards the front methodically and if your stuck accessing the bell housing bolts just remove the engine mounts. To remove and refit takes around 2 days plus any cleaning or other works.

Old 12-23-2017, 08:11 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Reading. Thanks all.

Old 12-23-2017, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Vasileff
Thanks
Before you venture into tearing out your newly acquired tranny be sure it's not just the oil and filter that needs changing. The ZF autobox is pretty bombproof and reliable if properly serviced.

https://www.google.fr/search?q=youtu...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Greg Vasileff (12-24-2017)
Old 12-23-2017, 12:57 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 966 Likes on 643 Posts

That's true. Too bad it's not driveshaft proof.

Speaking of, I've been thinking about mounting a steel plate between the two as a guard. Maybe 1/4” plate, or some kind of hoop around the shaft itself.

Old 12-23-2017, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Alex_M
That's true. Too bad it's not driveshaft proof.

Speaking of, I've been thinking about mounting a steel plate between the two as a guard. Maybe 1/4” plate, or some kind of hoop around the shaft itself.
I explored the possibilities of a hoop idea with SuperSport on here some years ago and we even designed an idea based around a hoop to restrain the flailing driveshaft and Cardan joint, it would defo have been a flyer.

There is a hoop restrainer already marketed in the US, SS discovered the source on the web.

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 12-23-2017 at 06:00 PM.