Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head gaskets done, The Block is done!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 10:10 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head gaskets done, The Block is done!!!!!

Well after busting my *** for a few days in my spare time, the Turd is put back together, but she overheated within minutes.

She fired right up and after a few adjustments she was purring then I heard the sleave. Took it for a spin and the got a misfire code out of cyliner 3, you know the cylinder that was perfectly clean, I was hoping from a head gasket leak.

So here we are. A 6500 pound boat anchor.

I'm not tossing a short block at this thing. I thought about pinning the sleave, but I'm afraid the exhaust is gonna keep finding its way into the coolant system.

Any ideas, what is she worth to part her out?

Any ideas on what to do?

Old 07-09-2012, 11:07 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So you were overheating before you started the work?

1. You can find a used block but would need to question if it had the same problem.
2. Purchase a used engine which may have the same issues as above.
3. Purchase a replacement block from someone like Turner for 2500.00 + build parts your looking at 4000-4500.00 would be the way to go.

Happy spending

Old 07-09-2012, 11:29 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it had been over heating before we were hoping it was the head gasket.

I can't see throwing any more money at this thing.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:51 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Glassman,
After all this work on your behalf.
I am very sorry you did not have a successful outcome.

1) If you sent the heads out - was the head pressure tested?

2) For #3 cylinder to be clean and getting coolant into it - is your sleeve banging around? I think you mentioned the sleeve. And then the block needs to have a crack in it.

3) The only other way would be in through the intake manifold - if it had a crack in it and coolant was getting into #3 somehow. But, I highly doubt you could be as lucky as having a crack in the intake manifold affecting #3.

If you are sure it is a sleeve, you have nothing to lose by trying to pin it in place. That would not stop the pressure though from getting in.
Pressure must be going around the sleeve and into a crack.

You must have the 4.6 liter?

After all this work - it is hard to be unemotional about the experience.
Don't do anything rash.

Let things calm down.

You can always wait for a really good deal on another rover and combine the parts into a really good rover.

There appear to be a lot of engines for sale at the $1,500 price point.
Of course, these could be a crap shoot.

Range Rover 1999-2002 P38 4.6l engine | eBay

Keep an eye on your local craigslist.org for an engine or a whole rover.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:08 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buddy I am sorry to hear this. I know how pissed you are right now and probably want that thing gone ONLY after you destroy it! I say read everything you can about pinning the liners IF your block doesn't have a crack in it. You really have nothing to loose. As far as parting out: Depending on condition, year, mileage you should be able to get $1,500. What does your interior look like?!? Keep me in mind for some parts if you do decide to part out.
This may be dumb, but if you have a 4.0 why can't you find a DI 4.0 and put it in there? I know there is a difference with the gems and bosh, but what exactly is the difference besides the intake?

Old 07-10-2012, 04:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Kseal....

Old 07-10-2012, 07:15 AM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm in the same boat roughly. I just replaced my headgaskets 2 weeks ago and I'm still getting combustion gasses pressurizing the coolant system.

I don't know if this will work for you, but I read of a guy breaking his thermostat so it was stuck open so air wouldn't get trapped below it causing an overheat. I had planned to drill a couple holes on the flat outside lip to allow the air to pass through and keep it from overheating. Drive it around the local area like this until I can afford a flange or "top hat" linered block. I'm not sure if you came across them or not, but ACR sells their blocks for 975 pounds which works out to a little over $1500. Another option, since you seem capabable, is to buy the liners from overseas and take your block into a reputable machine shop. I really don't think putting these liners in is rocket science for a machine shop.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:41 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Here might be another solution for you to keep your Disco on the road which minimal out of pocket cost. What about having you block sent out and having just the #3 sleeve pulled and a top hat put in place for just the #3. You could send the block to someone like LA Sleeve and I think they would do this for your. My guess at cost would be under $500.00 since I believe the entire engine is about $1,800.00. Just a thought.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:10 PM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I think generally you want to do one hole side if you do it.

I read on one of the top hat sites that when you push in the top hat sleeve you want to do the adjacent ones because it will deform the stock ones next to it. I'll try to find a reference, but I've seen it recommended.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:00 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Glassman,
Keep your eyes open for another Rover.
I would not put any more money into that engine.

I would think someone will need to heliarc the crack and put a top hat in it.

You have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to lose by using Savanna's advice with the sealer now.

---
Otherwise, you could get use out of it by running on 7 cylinders.

Pull the injector wiring to that injector. You will get a misfire code.

Pull out the spark plug.

but I bet it would run that way.

I ran my Saab on 3 cylinders out of 4 when my direct injection spark pack failed to fire cylinder #4. I just pulled the injector plug on #4 injector.

For the most part, I got from Oxnard, CA to Los Angeles just fine.
And, I came home that way too - back to Santa Barbara when I was working there.

And finally I went to 2 cylinders. The Saab was not too useful on two cylinders. But I got from the hotel to work and back on two cylinders.

When I got a new direct ignition cassette, I was back to 4 cylinders.

If you could pull the spark plug and put a hose on it - and put a muffler on the hose - it could be tolerable.

I would try Savanna's sealing idea.

Quick Reply: Head gaskets done, The Block is done!!!!!