Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's tried this: LS Swap with modern FI system?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 11:12 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Who's tried this: LS Swap with modern FI system?

Let's start off by saying I've been a D1 owner and enthusiest for years. Love the D2's though and they're becoming cheap and plentiful now.

I recently looked at a D2 in great condition except for the motor was toast, like a lot of them. Since I couldn't hear it run I can't tell if it's going to be a $1,500 bottom end rebuild, or a $5,500 new block. But just in general, I'm sure others have thought about or performed a swap of another motor (LS?) more commonly available and with a good reputation for reliability. Just curious what the common 'alternate' path fabricators are doing and what they're using? Any kits out there? How would ya adapt another block to the existing D2 transmission? If you have any wisdom or links to share, please do.

Thanks in advance,

Old 10-06-2015, 11:54 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Ok, I might have answered my own question on this. I watched the video of the guy (Captain 1976) from WI who installed the 4.3L Chevy engine. He's in my neck of the woods. Might be worth looking him up. I don't have emission inspections to worry about. This seems like once completed, would make an even more reliable vehicle. I could handle such a project. What's the deal with Mark's transmission adapters?

What else does anyone know about this or other swaps?

Thanks,

Mark G

Old 10-06-2015, 12:27 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Check out the forum section,under build threads.

Originally Posted by Mark G
Ok, I might have answered my own question on this. I watched the video of the guy (Captain 1976) from WI who installed the 4.3L Chevy engine. He's in my neck of the woods. Might be worth looking him up. I don't have emission inspections to worry about. This seems like once completed, would make an even more reliable vehicle. I could handle such a project. What's the deal with Mark's transmission adapters?

What else does anyone know about this or other swaps?

Thanks,

Mark G

Old 10-06-2015, 12:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 127 Likes on 89 Posts
Default bmw

Not that it is the same thing, but a guy put one in a bmw e38.

pretty interesting battle.

Old 10-06-2015, 01:25 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 966 Likes on 643 Posts

ShadeTree had some an LS swap with, I believe, a 4l80e mated to the Disco transfer case. Just search LS Swap and it should pop up eventually. Pretty neat looking, seems like he's got it running well.

Old 10-06-2015, 04:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here We Go Again, My LSX Swap Thread ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page)

It runs and performs better than I had hoped for. It is an off Road truck now, I drive it to the woods (no trailer queen). The club I joined has property 50 miles from my house, so I drive it there every chance I get. I am the only Land Rover (90% jeep club as I guess most are in the US). I have yet to break anything other than the rear plastic bumper, a mirror and a taillight. No mechanical breakdowns at all!
The very first time out there I flopped it on its side, only a few scratches and a broken mirror. My fault completely, I have since learned that the sway bars need to be unhooked, hopefully problem solved. (also need to learn to drive!)

The basics: (if you don't want to read the whole thread)
2006 LM4 All aluminum LSX style truck motor.
4l60E Transmission built with heavy duty clutches
Home made adapter and connector shaft between the trans. and LT230 Transfer case.
F-Body motor mounts and oil pan.
Shallow Transmission (car) oil pan.
Tom Woods Driveshafts
Stock DII Radiator and fan
Build a few supports for trans, TC re route exhaust, wire it up and drive.

I have done a bunch of other stuff to it for wheeling, but the above list is what is necessary to make it run.

Thanks to Justin at Lucky8 for all the great advice and parts.