Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did you buy your disco?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 09:47 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine was from a trade in at my shop. We gave very little money for it. It was like the day it was built, perfect. I had one of my techs rack it, no oil leaks wow must be out of oil. The engine was new under cpo. This vehicle is much more reliable than a 2004 BMW X5 V8. Yes 13 miles per gallon hurts sometimes, but our family loves it and off roading is fun with our boys. Dealing with German cars all day long, this vehicle is just as reliable.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:14 PM
4wd Low

Because it passes my mandatory wedding and funeral test. You see anytime I want to buy a new vehicle for any purpose (in this case I needed a high ground clearance awd or 4x4 vehicle for the terrible winter roads where I live) I ask myself the same two questions.

Can I show up in this to a relative's funeral and look respectable and not like an idiot?

Can I go to a wedding in this and look classy but not like I am trying to out shine the event?

Discovery passes both with flying colours! It manages to be cool and understated at the same time. Plus it meets all the performance and off-road capabilities I needed.

I love my Disco and will never look back, no matter how much I want to set fire to it some days

Old 06-27-2012, 01:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ngarover
I'm into suffering and punishment. I figured I could get a dominatrix or a disco...
Ditto...

And... because i wanted to drive something that was different and not follow the herd of Toyota 4-runners, Ford Explorers, etc. When i lived in upstate NY i was probably 1 of 5 in a 60 mile radius that owned one. Never would see them...that all changed when i moved to Denver....damn things are everywhere!

Old 06-27-2012, 03:59 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some great answers here

Bought my first one because I thought Land Rovers were the coolest things in the world....and I was right....until I discovered the hard way that the engines aren't "cool" at all (Read : blown intake manifold a week before moving across the country)

Bought my current one because there isn't a cure for Roveritis....just like herpes.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:46 PM
Rock Crawling

My wife seen a sandstone 01 Disco for sale and fell in love with it. Of course I bought it for her and have been working, er, loving it ever since.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:11 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bought my first D1 when I was 19 and I thought it would help me get laid. Little did I know the only thing ****ing me would be the truck. Bought my D2 4 years later because its bigger and my ******* wasn't sore enough.

Last edited by Eaglerover22; 06-27-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:24 PM
Three Wheeling

I have always loved the styling of the Disco's. I grew up around Porsche's and Pantera's and I remember when my dad would get excited about a sports car he would say "it looks like its doing 100mph just sitting there". To me Disco's look like they are on a "wild safari trip" just sitting there, I love the styling..

I bought my very first D1 because like others have said in the past, they are stylistically extremely versatile. You can see Disco's on trails doing some serious off roading, at the kids soccer games on the weekend, at the country club for a game of golf on Sunday, or out on the street for an elegant night out on a date. After my first D1, I was hooked and have owned probably half a dozen Disco's and 2-3 Range Rovers.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:42 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bought a disco because I needed something that would leak more oil than my 2002 audi a6 2.7T.
In all seriousness we wanted something unique looking and snow capable. The disco has passed with flying colors.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:55 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Discovery4Life
Because it passes my mandatory wedding and funeral test. You see anytime I want to buy a new vehicle for any purpose (in this case I needed a high ground clearance awd or 4x4 vehicle for the terrible winter roads where I live) I ask myself the same two questions.

Can I show up in this to a relative's funeral and look respectable and not like an idiot?

Can I go to a wedding in this and look classy but not like I am trying to out shine the event?

Discovery passes both with flying colours! It manages to be cool and understated at the same time. Plus it meets all the performance and off-road capabilities I needed.

I love my Disco and will never look back, no matter how much I want to set fire to it some days
That really sums it up for me, great post.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:39 PM
Winching

Love going off road and setting up camp for weeks at a time in US forest land or BLM land. No one can get to the place I go except other LR's and some heavily modified off road trucks.

Quick Reply: Why did you buy your disco?