Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Discovery over a Jeep Rubicon? I just got a Disco

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 09:28 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why Discovery over a Jeep Rubicon? I just got a Disco

I've had two Troopers, parts are expensive and the engines sucked but they did quite will offroad.
I've had a Cherokee which was fairly bullet proof other than body flex great engine and drive train and it did really well offroad.
I've had a Grand Cherokee which was stock and I really didn't do any heavy offroading in it.
I've had a Wrangler with open diffs and it was the worst offroad vehicle I've ever had.
I've had a Range Rover Classic that went great offroad and was the epitome of luxury but it had electrical gremlins.
I've had a Disco I that was great offroad, hung with any 4wd any of my friends had, and was bullet proof.
I currently have a Disco II and it is the best of all the worlds. Great offroad, ACE makes it corner like a BMW, I love it.

All the trucks above had at least 2" of lift and decent offroad tires. Traction is what it's all about IMO. The Rubicon is awesome but there are a bunch of other trucks out there that are all relatively equal. There is only one Landrover, they wrote the book that all the rest copy, and the feeling of driving a Landrover can't be matched by anything. Except maybe a G-Wagen.............. Just kidding. To answer your question, my traction control blows me away every time I climb something the other guys have to hammer to get up and my ground clearance with 265's is plenty for 99% of the stuff out there.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:32 PM
Winching

I can keep up with those heeps all day long. I can and I do. My whole 4x4 club is jeeps. p.s. I'm All open. no lockers. no cdl. I just know how to drive.

I'm throwing in the CDL real soon though. I have been testing my luck.. not much left.

but.. I don't wheel in rocks and all that. I live in south florida.

forgot to add. I'm running 285s (33") 3.25" lift. snorkel. 4.6L ... Our trucks don't weigh much more then a jeep with axles/lockers/tires.. the 4.6 really beats up the jeeps 4.0...

Old 09-16-2008, 10:43 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

actually, discos weigh about 1,300 more lbs. than a wrangler. The Jeep 4.0L has a very good track record over the past 20 years and will easily go 200K+ without major problems...bottom line..it's hard to compare the two..one cost $40K and the other can be purchased for $20K.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:53 PM
Mudding

How much weight can a stock disco pull?

Old 09-16-2008, 10:57 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Discoveries can tow 5500 pounds with a brake trailer in high range, 7700 in low range. The standard gear ratio in the LR ales is 3.55:1.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:31 PM
Winching

ORIGINAL: NiteTrain

actually, discos weigh about 1,300 more lbs. than a wrangler. The Jeep 4.0L has a very good track record over the past 20 years and will easily go 200K+ without major problems..

Really? I never looked into the weight of the jeeps. My friend with a modded jeep told me they are close in weight, that his jeep weights about 5400. Give or take.

Rover engines can hit into the 300K (there are a couple guys anyways)... Idk about the problems that come along with that high mileage though.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: AK Rover

Discoveries can tow 5500 pounds with a brake trailer in high range, 7700 in low range. The standard gear ratio in the LR ales is 3.55:1.
They will tow (and do everywhere else in the world) 7700 lbs in High range.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:50 PM
Winching

Disco axle strength compared to Jeep axle strength. Axle

Same link I posted in the other jeep vs disco thread.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:14 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Dweb is a great place to send a Jeep guy. They will answer ALL of his questions.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:18 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would put the strenght of the Disco's axle between the Dana 35 and Dana 44. Something like the chrysler 8.25 that I had in mycherokee. Discos do excellent in close to stock form. There's no need to overdo stuff like the Jeep crowd tend to do all the time. Even in the rover world there is such a thing as overlifting.

The Discovery is one of the most capable off-road vehice/highway comfortable vehicle out there. Overlifting it and go overagressive on the tires and you take away a lot in the comfort factor. A 2 inch lift with 31 or 32 inch tires at the most is an excellent balance of both worlds. Anyone that says otherwise is simply lying to him or herself.

In my Jeep club, I usually tell people to go straight to a 3 to 4 inch teraflex lift with 33 inch tires and be done with it, instead of buying spacers with 31 inch tires and then finding out its not enough to follow the guys and try to sell the spacers and tires and go bigger and bigger.......

With a Discovery I say go small and then adjust if need be. A Rover is a Rover because it can take you off-road all day and then take you out to dinner in class. If your gonna make your rover a Jeep and take the class factor away, might as well get a Jeep .

Quick Reply: Why Discovery over a Jeep Rubicon? I just got a Disco