Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Discovery over a Jeep Rubicon? I just got a Disco

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 04:09 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Why Discovery over a Jeep Rubicon? I just got a Disco

The most consistent answer I received about axle strength was between dana 35 and 44 stock, but just as strong as D44 if you upgrade to the 30 spline shafts.(I believe 30 is correct)

Old 09-17-2008, 07:00 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I researched some more. Stock rover axles are Almost as strong as D44s, however the HD rover axles are stronger then D44s. Rovers have weak CVs though.

I'll read into it more tonight just to double check.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:43 PM
Three Wheeling

HD Rover axles? Now, that means what? Stock Discovery 2 axles that are beefed up! Or are they completely a full swap out different axle? Now I know you can take these disco2 axles and make them stronger, by cromoly axle shafts, but what else can you do to them, or is that all you need to do. I've heard of disco's with Toy converted axles, spyder 9's, 24 spline hd axles, and fj80 axles. I'm guessing that none of these start out as a factory stock disco axle??? At any rate, I'm not looking to swop out running gear but what is the best way to beef up or bullitproof the stock disco2 axles. You guys have said that 285 or 33's are the limmit for these axles, well if thats the limmit then you don't want to be on the trail wheeling with them. I would rather build the axles as much as you can and be safe! Thats gets me and my family home! Thanks all.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:39 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ek3usmc, you can buy 30 spline axle shafts for the disco. I think they're about $100/each.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:11 PM
Winching

ORIGINAL: ek5usmc

HD Rover axles? Now, that means what? Stock Discovery 2 axles that are beefed up! Or are they completely a full swap out different axle? Now I know you can take these disco2 axles and make them stronger, by cromoly axle shafts, but what else can you do to them, or is that all you need to do. I've heard of disco's with Toy converted axles, spyder 9's, 24 spline hd axles, and fj80 axles. I'm guessing that none of these start out as a factory stock disco axle??? At any rate, I'm not looking to swop out running gear but what is the best way to beef up or bullitproof the stock disco2 axles. You guys have said that 285 or 33's are the limmit for these axles, well if thats the limmit then you don't want to be on the trail wheeling with them. I would rather build the axles as much as you can and be safe! Thats gets me and my family home! Thanks all.
Yeah, Great Basin Rovers is the Supplier for HD axles. Rovertracks may also sell them, but I believe they have been out of stock for some time. The axles are not rebuilt axles but completely new axles (at least to my knowledge..).

I never heard of anyone strengthening a rover axle by cromoly.

Great Basin Rovers GBR site is messed up, you can call them and tell them what you want to do with your disco and they can help you. They have great knowledge with discos and there abilities ect..

Rover Tracks

Some say the Toy conversion is the Strongest set up for a decent price, Which is a complete new axle housing axles and all that... (besides putting in portals/60s.. all that work) But it is A lot of fab work. I'd rather just do GBR axles.. ALSO, as far as I know Keith at RoverTracks is still working on the DII toy conversions swap, it has been done on the DI just not the DII yet. Still in the process.

Some guys on Discoweb wheel locked DIIs with stock axles on 33s and haven't broke anything yet. But, it just depends on how hard you wheel and if you play hard in rocks.

GBR has been testing there axles on 37" tires and haven't had problems yet. Justin from Lucky 8 has GBR axles on 37x13.5 tires on his DI and is doing fine, But he drives easy and uses his winch..

When it comes down to it. Everything breaks...

I still say just put on a decent lift with 33s and see how your disco handles with CDL+TC. It may suit your needs just fine. If you end up breaking an axle, then upgrade to GBR ect. If you are worried about 33s just put on 32s. Unless you Really want 33s, I know I did

Old 09-17-2008, 09:16 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

When you say "build up the axles" what do you mean? The axle housing or the axle shaft?

Old 09-17-2008, 09:43 PM
Winching

ORIGINAL: NiteTrain

ek3usmc, you can buy 30 spline axle shafts for the disco. I think they're about $100/each.
Really now? Where can you get these axle shafts?

Old 09-17-2008, 10:32 PM
Three Wheeling

Build your axle, means stronger guts, like axle shafts, gears, everything inside. The disco axles are so heavy I would hope there axle housing is strong. Thanks
Hey guys, I went and looked at my 04 disco2 today and seen the air compressor under the hood but looking at the rear springs I didnt see any air ride suspinsion leveling WHATEVER. In the front the shock is inside the spring. Auto leveling? Where is the setup attached to the axels or how does it work? I just want to make sure someone didnt remove anything. Thanks. Oh, I agree I'll lift it and 285 then test it out, maybe through a set of 30 spline cromoly axle shafts in them. I really want the rover tyme 5 inch express with 35's, lock front and rear, with 411 gears. But I realize that even if I strengthen the stock axles with a set of 30 spline cromoly axle shafts, that it might be to hard on them. Like you guys said, with a 3inch and 285 or then I dont have to remove that air ride leveling system. So that might be the way for now. see, you go though all that work, get it out and you then want bigger and stronger. These can still be luxury and nice with the 5' with 35's. you just have to spend alot more money . The other problem is finding someone to install all of it??? I live in Redding , ca. way north ca. Thanks guys

Old 09-17-2008, 10:47 PM
Winching

Are you sure cromoly axle shafts will fit, do they even make them for a rover? I have never heard that.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:55 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

So first you wanted a 4" lift and now you want a 5" lift? Are you justthumbing through a Petersons magazine and just copying whatyou are reading? Because that is what it is sounding like.
You yourself said that you know nothing about LR's. Soyou need to educate yourself on the brand and what they can do before you go and spend any money and ruin a perfectly good truck.
As far as the shocks being inside the springs, duh, that is how a true off road truck is built. The shocks are safely tucked out of harms way. The shocks are what holds the axle to the truck. Remove the shocks and anti sway bars and the axle will fall onto the ground. That setup means better axle articulation. Almost 10" of wheel travel IN STOCK FORM.
THESE ARE NOT PIECE OF **** JEEPS.
If you break a axle on a LR while on the trail you can remove it in about 5 min and still drive home. You dont even need to take the tire off the truck to do it. 5 bolts and the axle shaft slides right out.
Put the magazine down and do your research.

Quick Reply: Why Discovery over a Jeep Rubicon? I just got a Disco