Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WHY......Do you like your Land Rover Discovery?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 08:42 PM
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

I personally don’t like the d1 the body is just to small and wimpy looking imo the d2 looks a lot beefier
I would not sell that 04 disco that is the last best looking disco Plus cdl and traction.

Old 10-13-2020, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

All my D2's have CDL, I checked the 99 & 02 Kalahari before I bought em. I just grabbed 2 04 Linkages and 2 03/04 SLABS units and was good to go. Hardest part of the linkage install was drilling the rivets out of the black plate the linkage assembly mounts to!

From the front a D1/D2 look almost the same especially the 94-02's. That small body on the D1 especially the rear section comes in very handy off road. All my D2's are setup with 3inch lifts and 275/65R18's so the J-Lo butt on the D2 isn't as bad, but stock vs stock a D1's smaller shorter rear end makes a world of difference off road.

When the first Jeep Wrangler JKU's came out I used to laugh so hard seeing them out on the trails. They had to do like 5-6 point turns vs a LR that just turned without having to hold everyone up. Now most trails have been changed up over the years with all the JKU's out there. I find myself saying to myself this isn't a tight trail anymore!!

Old 10-14-2020, 05:44 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,508 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Originally Posted by Art H
Something to add. For years Disco owners were made to feel second class. It's not as nice or as expensive as the Range Rover, but lacks the utility and desirability of the Defender. What we have instead is a melding of the two. Some of the RR's luxury and style, with most of the Defender's Ability and utility. Discos are the "middle child" if-you-will of the Landy Family. Personally, that is alright.
Agree here. Defenders (or Jeeps) might be more off-road capable, but at what cost - on road and comfort wise they are crap. Disco has all the luxury/creature comforts of the RR without the excessive complexity that always gives problems. Plus the Disco has way more cargo space than a RR. Ride is slightly harsher due to the shorter wheelbase but not excessively so. I assume the P38 would be slightly more stable towing over 65 mph but would not give up the cargo space for that because I don't tow that often. Newer Disco's (LR#X) are just too complex, RR's too, although I do like the supercharged power. Never say never....

The following users liked this post:
CollieRover (10-17-2020)
Old 10-14-2020, 06:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Extinct
Agree here. Defenders (or Jeeps) might be more off-road capable, but at what cost - on road and comfort wise they are crap. Disco has all the luxury/creature comforts of the RR without the excessive complexity that always gives problems. Plus the Disco has way more cargo space than a RR. Ride is slightly harsher due to the shorter wheelbase but not excessively so. I assume the P38 would be slightly more stable towing over 65 mph but would not give up the cargo space for that because I don't tow that often. Newer Disco's (LR#X) are just too complex, RR's too, although I do like the supercharged power. Never say never....
I constantly search for used rovers and anytime a supercharged rover comes up near me I take it for a test drive. Lol. One day I’ll have one as a tow vehicle/family hauler.

Old 10-14-2020, 09:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 65 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Extinct
. I assume the P38 would be slightly more stable towing over 65 mph but would not give up the cargo space for that because I don't tow that often.
I have towed everything from a 14 foot sailing dinghy up to a 4000 pound 23 foot sailboat. The 23 foot I towed from lake Champlain to Atlantic City on a trailer with inoperative brakes. Just this spring, I went out to montauk and brought up a 17 foot sailboat and had to come through all the shore towns before hitting the bridges and garden state parkway. Never has my Disco felt unstable when towing anything I needed moving.

as you can tell, I was very tongue heavy with this trailer, but nothing ever felt out of place or unstable.

The following users liked this post:
CollieRover (10-17-2020)
Old 10-15-2020, 07:13 AM
Camel Trophy

Probably a matter of tow weight and speed. My boat was an easy 3600 lbs+. Over 65 mph she would get a little squirrely and do the tail wag occasionally. I was spoiled by my Duramax (CC, LB, 4x4) that would drag it 85 mph and not even notice it was there.

Old 10-15-2020, 11:36 AM
TReK
Received 557 Likes on 483 Posts

I haven't towed anything heavy with either the Disco or P38, but at fast highway speeds the the P38 drives a lot better than the Disco. The 2 vehicles feel quite similar on anything from rough roads to 110km/h. Faster than that, the P38 shines. Also off road the EAS does a better job of keeping all the wheels on the ground. I'm planning to go for a 2" lift on the D2 which I expect will improve it's off road performance.

Old 10-15-2020, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

P38 transfer case is it's weak spot vs the gear driven LT230. The viscous coupling in the P38 makes for less noise and smoother operation, but LT230 is way more durable and can have CDL.

Old 10-15-2020, 08:15 PM
Camel Trophy

Yeah, D2 driveline is HD for sure. I have pulled several D2's with the D2, so probably 6-7000lbs total weight. No issues other than the tail wag at speed.

Old 10-16-2020, 12:35 PM
TReK
Received 557 Likes on 483 Posts

I suspect the chain drive is not as robust as the gear, but I haven't really heard of failures with the T Case. The viscous coupling does seem to be a failure point.

Quick Reply: WHY......Do you like your Land Rover Discovery?