Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WHY......Do you like your Land Rover Discovery?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2020, 06:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

90Here is my Discovery moment; It was labor day weekend, and Land Rover was the featured marque for the "All British Field Meet" in Portland Oregon. September 2001. I went there because the dealership "Land Rover of Portland" was sponsoring the event, and giving rides of both the Defender 90 and Discovery 2 on the off-road course nestled in Portland International Raceway. There was a long line that day for rides. As I worked my way to the starting booth, all Defenders were out on the trail. Disappointed, I had to go on a Discovery. The dealer pulls up and three of us climb in, after signing a waiver, of course. I felt nervous sitting in the back seat. Lots of leg room, I noticed. So here we drive off. All the while we are on the course, he is selling his pitch for the Disco. Suddenly we approach a very tall and steep mound. Get ready for something unsettling I thought to myself. I grabbed the handles on the back of the front seat as we quickly escalate up the hill. SLAM !! He bottoms out at the very crest. Man, that was tough I thought. So as we begin to teeter forward, moving slowly, he shifts into 4 low and hits the downhill descent button in what seemed like a second. He's talking the whole time, and as the front wheels touch the other side, we start our slow descent down the other side, all the while he has his foot off the brakes, and he is turned to us in the back seat lecturing to us about this new technology. I was super impressed. And a bit shaken up.