Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why on Earth is my truck overheating????

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 03:55 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lr2001silver
I would also say your bleed process is incorrect. You bleed the truck when its cold and then afterwards you start it.

Temp sensors trippin?
Thanks! Will redo the bleed process and hope for the best. Actually, I'll wait for Mike's call , first!

I don't suspect sensors, because the hoses were rock hard when I opened the hood after overheating.

I'm also going to suck it up and order an Ultra Gauge right now. Worse comes to worse, I'll toss it in another vehicle.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:58 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great!

Old 12-10-2012, 04:00 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by jfall
If your hoses are pressurized and you are 90k+ miles -
you may need a head gasket.

If you start to get misfire codes on 1,2,7 or 8 cylinder # that will point to a head gasket eventually too.

I have bleed my D2 by running it at 1,200 rpm for 8 minutes with the coolant tank raised as high as it will go and the cap off.

This is NOT recommended and you can get scalded if not done correctly.

Right after I replaced the head gaskets I did this bleed below.
Before I replaced the head gaskets, I could never bleed it.
The bleed would not hold.
And, there was the water fall sound when taking off from spotlights.

But, I did this type of system bleed in March 2012 in Boulder, CO
and I have not had to bleed again.
I did just replace the head gaskets too.
Thanks or your reply. I've got 192K on it, I'm making an assumption that it wad done by the previous owner. I cannot confirm; however, I suspect that it would've failed by the time I bought it (30K ago).

Is the only way to definitively diagnose head gaskets by using an O2 test? I see no visble signs - no leaking, no white smoke, no performance degradation, no milky oil + it pressure tested to 16PSI @ 15 minutes.

Thanks ,
Steve

Old 12-10-2012, 04:20 PM
Three Wheeling

Ultra Guage ordered.

--Steve

Old 12-12-2012, 09:37 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
A couple of things, never turn off a vehicle with an aluminum engine if it is not leaking, you will toast it.
Second, you only bleed the engine when stone cold and never with it running if you want it done right.
As for your trucks issue, if it keeps happening over the next day, send me your number so I can walk you thru what to check and quit driving it if it even tries to over heat again.
Thanks, Mike.

We spoke about this and decided that the next step was to perform a chemical block test. I did and it came up negative.

The only thing that I can think of, is either water pump is shot or a clog somewhere in the system.

Thoughts?

Old 12-13-2012, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Water pump - be sure serpantine belt is correct , it works better when it don't run bassackwards. The spec for the water pump flow is 2.64 gallons per minute at 1000 rpm. So you could hook up some hoses to it and let it pump water thru the system into a 5 gallon bucket. There are tales about the water pump impeller being loose on the center mount, or a blade being gone. The pix shows what they look like inside (D1 or D2 are same). IMHO the older pump with scale buildup is not going to be able to slip on the shaft. If going a new pump, BP Utah and a few others have a model with larger bronze impeller. Usually old pumps start to wobble the pulley, the bearing wears out, it starts leaking out the nose of the pump.

As far as blockage - most likely area would be radiator, has the smallest opening in the coolant path. If has not been changed, it can be removed, shake it to see if something is moving around in the side tank. Now that you have it out, set it aside and install a new one. A D2 rad is cheap compared to a D1. You can tell if it is sludged up by cheking heat on the fins (not tanks) fom top to bottom, should be within 10F. Water comes into tank, flows across all the tubes in parallel. Sludge forms at the bottom first, and as those tubes close off they are much cooler.

Attached Thumbnails Why on Earth is my truck overheating????-p1030596.jpg   Why on Earth is my truck overheating????-p1030593.jpg   Why on Earth is my truck overheating????-land_range_rover_classic_discovery_defender_oem_water_pump_g.jpg   Why on Earth is my truck overheating????-rad-crud.jpg   Why on Earth is my truck overheating????-pittsburgh-20120905-00034.jpg