Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why I don't lend cars out

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2020, 09:33 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Why I don't lend cars out

I lent my friend one of my DIIs for the snow today. Her car is in the shop.

Coolant line failed and she kept driving, until the truck died. I came and tried putting water in it, it was completely out. Coolant line had a small leak/hole. When I tried starting it it takes 10 seconds of hard starting before it catches.

I eventually limped it home after it cooled down a little. It sounded awful, I could hear the rockers slapping and it was missing terribly with flashing CEL..

No slipped liner. 104k miles and it's my baby, I'm pissed as hell but. Not her fault. She's not a car person whatsoever and barely checks her speed. Full roof rack, epsom green, and full service history at dealer since new.

I just went out to move it up the driveway, and it barely started and is missing pretty badly. But rockers are quiet now fortunately.

The temp sensor no longer works. it's stuck on cold with red temp light on.

So..tomorrow should I take a chance at removing the heads, and putting on a new set of head gaskets and reman heads? I have all of the parts necessary. I'm not sure if the block is cracked, I sure as hell hope not. I'm beyond devastated. I will never use URO cooling lines again. Only thing that Oreillys sold.

If cracked block symptoms emerge after the heads, I guess I'll throw in a new top hat liner block when I can afford a $8k cash purchase.

Old 01-25-2020, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Said it once and I’ll say it again URO is what you find if you punch a hole in the bottom of the barrel

Old 01-25-2020, 10:03 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 776 Likes on 650 Posts

Damn dude, really sorry to hear At least you are able to dig into this yourself.

And yes, URO sucks. With my first Benz I learned quick form others. But I need some parts and learned myself. Later on I even decided to buy another ÜRO part, a plastic grille insert. I mean what can go wrong with a grille insert! Well noting catastrophic, but I kid you not the plastic started to disintegrate! Like it could not handle the weathering at all. I ended up putting back in the 30+ year old original since it started to look better than the "new" one. Sad!

Old 01-25-2020, 10:19 PM
Rock Crawling

Yep. Got that, and am learning in an expensive way. Hopefully I can get it done tomorrow.

I am not happy that I used URO when I first installed it. But it was the only thing available to me since I forgot to order that hose. Rest of the system is Britpart which I've never ever had issues with their cooling components.

Sucks as well, I had just entirely redone the cooling system. New Nissens radiator, new lines, BMW 50/50 coolant, 180F thermostat, and a few other things.

Old 01-25-2020, 11:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

DAng...

Old 01-26-2020, 12:15 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 442 Likes on 279 Posts

Which hose killed ya?

Old 01-27-2020, 03:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about this but why did you let the coolant line crack? Didn't you check it before? When I let others drive I make sure the car is working. Why don't you have an alarm so she knows how when to stop. Nobody pays attention to the temp gauge on these.

Old 01-27-2020, 07:35 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by nojunkmailplease
Sorry to hear about this but why did you let the coolant line crack? Didn't you check it before? When I let others drive I make sure the car is working. Why don't you have an alarm so she knows how when to stop. Nobody pays attention to the temp gauge on these.
E Z bud, everyone makes mistakes, especially unforeseen ones. ..probly trying to get some tail or just help a friend. We've all done it. We all learn.

Old 01-27-2020, 10:00 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 821 Likes on 538 Posts

Unless you are some sort of LR god I'm not sure how one just lets a coolant line crack...who said he didn't do a visual inspection prior to lending it out. Stuff happens it's just the name of the game, unfortunately this seems to be a more brutal instance. But most importantly no one was injured.

Old 01-27-2020, 11:54 AM
Rock Crawling

To start off, f*** you, two, I didn’t “let it crack”

it was a hose with under 2k miles that randomly blew a hole in itself. Why would I have an alarm? **** like this doesn’t generally randomly happen. If it does, I’m experienced enough with these where I feel a loss of heat, and can smell the coolant burning.

the car WAS “working” fine. It’s not like the hose was going to tell me “hey man, I’m sorry, but I’m going to fail within the next 2 hours”

next time something fails on your car and it destroys something major, I’ll be sure to ask you the same idiotic questions like; why didn’t you fix it, or why did you let it break

cause the last time I checked, people don’t have future telling abilities

it was the jumble of lines that leads to the lower radiator, under the thermostat. All of the coolant basically drains itself out when put in from there.

We’ve been friends longer than high school, so chasing tail while I have a girlfriend wasn’t something that was on my mind LOL!

The following 3 users liked this post by User:
shanechevelle (01-27-2020), The Deputy (04-04-2020), Wheelspin (04-04-2020)

Quick Reply: Why I don't lend cars out