Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are LR Discos being sold twice what fair market value says?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018 | 04:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle

While you haven't changed my opinion, I appreciate your response as detailed and well thought out.

What you say is true difference wise, pick your poison.

Old 01-22-2018 | 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Yep they’re all great to me. I loved my 94 RRC, loved my 98 LSE 50th Edition, but for me the extra few refinements like the HVAC, the D2 seats are more comfy to me, and the child seat latches were things I liked better.

I’ll drive any LR as long as it’s not a Freelander or LR2.

Last edited by Best4x4; 01-22-2018 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-22-2018 | 06:16 PM
Camel Trophy

Also, LR3's are going for between $6k and 10k, and they cost twice as much to fix when there are problems (and transmission and electrical issues seem to be much more prevalent, so more $$ spent on repairs). Only 1-2 yr diff from 03-04's, so...

Old 01-22-2018 | 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Yep the transmission flaw with the LR3 is the leaking o-ring collar. If not detected the transmission slowly bleeds out until the transmission goes bye bye. The all metal pan vs plastic is the way to go with an LR3. Any vehicle will have it’s flaws, the key is to address them before it gets costly.

My wife loves the LR3 & it’s a great LR, however it’s first 3 weeks of ownership were very interesting to say the least, but once the glitch was found and fixed for 22.00 (new brake switch), alternator 80.00, and replaced the battery it’s been amazing! I’d buy another one or a 05-09 RRS anyday.

Old 01-23-2018 | 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by cctravels
After careful research and reading through a lot of your forums, I decided I was going to try buying a 2004 Discovery SE. But when I look at what's available out there I'm seeing they're being sold 2-3 times the KBB or fair market price. Can anyone explain why? It's showing around $5k but a lot of models I'm seeing are starting at $10k and depending on the upgrades they are upwards to $15k. Thoughts?
In all honesty, I always up-mark my vehicles for sale by 20-25% for a couple of weeks initially as you only need one person who feels it's exactly what they are looking for or need. Naughty, for sure, but such is life. Also many think there truck is worth more for various misguided reasons and hope that someone buys it, sometimes they are just uninformed non agent dealers.

Old 01-25-2018 | 01:30 PM
Pro Wrench

Speaking of over priced D2's, the description is hilarious in this CL ad.

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/...464979893.html

Old 01-25-2018 | 11:08 PM
Rock Crawling

Values are going up because some people have realized that for about $20-30K you can have a nice soon-to-be (if not already) classic car that will serve you better than the modern computerized junk.

Pre-2005 Discoveries as well as older Land Cruisers are the last of the true SUVs. I am not counting Wranglers on purpose as they are more trail than overland travel rigs in my book. With some love and a handful a new parts (well, more than a handful for Discos), you can essentially get a nice daily driver that won't cost you an arm and a leg compared to a new car of its class. Here is the math I did before getting mine:

- Lease a new Disco 5: $27K; after 39 months give up the car
- Buy a solid CPO LR4: $35K or more (and save some $$$ for repairs)
- Find the best Disco 2, spend around $10K on it in total and then the time comes drop a new engine

Went with the third option and I am glad I did. It is my daily driver, and I commute about 55 miles per day always with a smile on my face, no car loan, and in a car that was made before engineers became slaves to wind tunnels.

Peace,
-mc
P.S.: Buying older cars in good shape is quite popular. Take a look at restored Mercedes Benz cars from the 80s; ditto for Bimmers.

Old 01-26-2018 | 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by mr. choodles
Values are going up because some people have realized that for about $20-30K you can have a nice soon-to-be (if not already) classic car that will serve you better than the modern computerized junk.

Pre-2005 Discoveries as well as older Land Cruisers are the last of the true SUVs. I am not counting Wranglers on purpose as they are more trail than overland travel rigs in my book. With some love and a handful a new parts (well, more than a handful for Discos), you can essentially get a nice daily driver that won't cost you an arm and a leg compared to a new car of its class. Here is the math I did before getting mine:

- Lease a new Disco 5: $27K; after 39 months give up the car
- Buy a solid CPO LR4: $35K or more (and save some $$$ for repairs)
- Find the best Disco 2, spend around $10K on it in total and then the time comes drop a new engine

Went with the third option and I am glad I did. It is my daily driver, and I commute about 55 miles per day always with a smile on my face, no car loan, and in a car that was made before engineers became slaves to wind tunnels.

Peace,
-mc
P.S.: Buying older cars in good shape is quite popular. Take a look at restored Mercedes Benz cars from the 80s; ditto for Bimmers.
X1 ............ I reckon you are on the target. My LR4 (D4) costs me around £10K ($13.5K) per year in wear & tear, depreciation, fuel, servicing etc and and my D2 with major upgrades this year has cost me around £3K ($4K+) all in per year both cover around 5-6K miles per year, both are turbo diesels and both are reliable trucks and both owned from new. The mileage on the odometer's is 15K for the LR4 and 141K for the D2. Yep, for comfort the LR4 wins easily but you pay the extra premium for that comfort.

IMHO, for 4x4's the D2 is ideal and if you want a reliable car yep an old Merc Estate or BMW even a good VW Skoda Estate, all now cheap and reliable, especially the turbo diesels.

Old 01-26-2018 | 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by Saturnine
Speaking of over priced D2's, the description is hilarious in this CL ad.

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/...464979893.html
I have one thing to say to that ad

Old 01-26-2018 | 05:24 AM
Pro Wrench

Take a look at restored Mercedes Benz cars from the 80s
Speaking of MBs. My neighbor lady friend asked me to look at at 1979 450SL a friend of her friend was selling for only $3k. Looked solid, runs great, has a recent soft top and tires. My lady friend said supposedly 170k miles and I didn't even look pre-purchase. She purchased it yesterday, as I was driving it back yesterday noticed the odometer is reading 770k.

Quick Reply: Why are LR Discos being sold twice what fair market value says?