Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are LR Discos being sold twice what fair market value says?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2018 | 01:10 PM
4wd Low
Default Effect of junkers on the avg

agreed with the above that the prevalence of junkers/parted out discos reduces the average... when you have some selling for 8k and others for 500 bucks the 500 bucks has an outweighed effect on the average. I do see a bunch selling on Craigslist for 3-5k that have already/recently done head gaskets and other common issues. The high end of that range is above blue book values but I think that’s the effect of the junkers bringing down the average.

Old 10-26-2018 | 06:52 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by discoisntdead
agreed with the above that the prevalence of junkers/parted out discos reduces the average... when you have some selling for 8k and others for 500 bucks the 500 bucks has an outweighed effect on the average. I do see a bunch selling on Craigslist for 3-5k that have already/recently done head gaskets and other common issues. The high end of that range is above blue book values but I think that’s the effect of the junkers bringing down the average.
Exactly. I have bought several where the shop told the owner it needed a new engine. One had a stuck thermostat, one had a plugged pcv baffle. The second or third owners went cheap on maintenance because they could not afford dealer rates, neglected them till they need a water pump plus hoses plus radiator plus plus plus - then they just give up.

Old 10-26-2018 | 09:14 PM
Three Wheeling

I like the comments by mr choodles, as I own both a 2000 DII and a 1999 LandCruiser. I bought my LC over a year ago because they are 400k mile vehicles and hold their resale value because of it. I found this one with 135k miles and bought it for $8k. I stole it. And I’ve put over 20k miles on it in a year. I always wondered why low mileage LCs are hard to find. These trucks just go forever.

In in my mind, DIIs are rising in value because there just aren’t that many around much anymore. In the collector car market there are two main rules: what was rare and special then is rare and special now, and , car collectors tend to buy the cars that they loved as a kid. Who in their 40’s didn’t have a Lamborghini or Porsche poster in their room and would get one if they had the means? DIIs are special but they are not rare at all; however the rarity of good examples we would buy, repair and drive is increasing. No one wants to buy a turd that will take months of wrenching just to get it on the road. All of the lease return “soccer-mom” DIIs that were then sold as CPO three years later have made their way through lesser and lesser quality dealerships so now that if you do find one it’s on a tote-the-note lot, months away from a blown head gasket base on the maintenance a tote-the-note customer will provide it. Those worthy examples of DIIs that are still cared for properly still have people that want to buy them. No one wants to buy a pig just so they can be seen in a disco - parked in their driveway not running.

These are special vehicles and those that stay on the road are going to feel the rising tide of values over the next few years because the supply is dwindling and the demand has stayed the same and could trend upwards as people respect the design and look, much less the off-road capabilities.

I found my current disco a few months ago and along with a file folder over an inch thick happily bought the truck for $7,500. Why? Well maintained, on the road, rare color, great previous owner, etc. I actually think I stole it and could flip it and make another $3k at least, but I bought it to enjoy it and take care of it

And why did I buy it? Because I am replacing the one I loved 20 years ago before my wife took it on a trip to Austin to see some friends (side note: she walked away from the accident with only a swollen hand. The airbag blew her hand off the wheel and her wedding ring shattered the window.)

I loved that truck. We were stuck in Houston when tropical storm allison hit and I drove a quarter mile through water as high as the door handles.

Now if y’all wanna hear my opinions about NAS D90 values I’m game for that but in the end you pay for a DII what it is worth for you and the enjoyment you will get out of it.

Last edited by Bulax99; 10-26-2018 at 09:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bulax99:
Kenso (10-26-2018), Richard Gallant (10-27-2018)
Old 10-27-2018 | 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

If it had CDL just lock it and keep trucking on 3 wheels!!!

On a serious note glad everyone was safe!! I had my lovely 97 D1 do like 2 360's in the middle of a FM road, roll twice, back onto it's wheels then it went straight into a fence, rolled 2-3 more times, then back onto my wheels and straight into a tree!!!! I walked away with just a bruised shoulder. D1 was about 2ft shorter, but all the doors opened/closed and besides a sunroof being blown out from rolling down the fence all the side glass and mirrors were intact. Saved my life for sure!

Old 10-27-2018 | 06:15 PM
Pro Wrench

Jeezus

Old 10-27-2018 | 06:38 PM
Camel Trophy

I love the color of your Disco - super good looking!!

Old 10-28-2018 | 11:00 AM

They are getting pricey because they are dammmm cooollll
on the other hand you can get a neglected one for dirt