Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why make non greasable u-joints to begin with?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 09:00 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Why make non greasable u-joints to begin with?!?!?

WHY WOULD LAND ROVER MAKE NON GREASABLE U JOINTS ON THE DII AND KNOW THAT THEY WILL CAUSE THE DRIVE SHAFT TO BREAK AND DESTROY THE TRANSMISSION BEFORE YOUR WALLET CAN SAY HELP ME???

Thanks

Old 12-26-2017, 09:05 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Because most people that bought the vehicle originally wouldn't grease them. And the U-joints aren't the problem, it's the centering ball.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

A lot manufacturers DO NOT include zerk fittings on their drive shafts. Land Rover is not alone in this area. It's cheaper, and eventually the dealerships can make $$$ replacing them.

Anyone that does their own routine maintenance or off road's their LR would be checking them on a regular basis. Grab one off of Ebay with zerk fittings for 125.00-150.00 and be done with it. Any LR I buy = a new drive shaft is one of the first orders of business.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:27 AM
Three Wheeling

Ok. So I'm not a mechanic, but how does the centering ball relate to the non-greasable u-joints? I recently had vibration if I went above 75 mph, but after getting the front and rear shafts cleaned I don't have any vibration at all. I feel like the drive shaft will warn me when its about to fail, either by chirping or intense vibration.

Also, mind sharing which drive shafts you guys bought for the DI/II? Does Land Rover use non-greasable u-joints for most if not all of their model vehicles?

Sorry for the onslaught of questions, I'm new to the forum and only 22 still learning about maintaining these trucks on a budget. Thanks so much and really appreciated!

Old 12-26-2017, 10:06 AM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

" I feel like the drive shaft will warn me when its about to fail, either by chirping or intense vibration. "

First, PLEASE DON'T use that "logic" when it comes to DII drive shaft!!! Just replace this thing NOW!
The drive shaft WILL warn you, by saying in a polite voice, " Please check your AT it has a BIGA$$ HOLE in it! "

The front drive shaft from Lucky8 (L8 is a board sponsor) is a very good choice. Either from their site or ebay store you won't go wrong.
Great guys to deal with.
> https://www.lucky8llc.com/collection...t-driveshaft-6

> https://www.ebay.com/itm/LAND-ROVER-...ZXMByM&vxp=mtr

The following 2 users liked this post by OverRover:
dasherman (12-26-2017), TriggerPuller (01-28-2018)
Old 12-26-2017, 11:07 AM
TReK
Received 481 Likes on 404 Posts

lol, this^

Old 12-26-2017, 02:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Manufacturers build to last the length of the warranty, with minumum maintenance. Soccer moms don't care about grease fittings, so take them out of the equation. Once warranty is over, manufacturer is more than happy to fix your problems, on your dime, with their high labor charges and high cost repair parts ($$$profitable).

The following users liked this post:
dasherman (12-26-2017)
Old 12-31-2017, 08:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by dasherman
Ok. So I'm not a mechanic, but how does the centering ball relate to the non-greasable u-joints? I recently had vibration if I went above 75 mph, but after getting the front and rear shafts cleaned I don't have any vibration at all. I feel like the drive shaft will warn me when its about to fail, either by chirping or intense vibration.

Also, mind sharing which drive shafts you guys bought for the DI/II? Does Land Rover use non-greasable u-joints for most if not all of their model vehicles?

Sorry for the onslaught of questions, I'm new to the forum and only 22 still learning about maintaining these trucks on a budget. Thanks so much and really appreciated!
Preventative maintenance is the key with any Rover. It will cost you less than $500 to replace the front drive shaft and the rotoflex with parts and labor. Not doing it is asking for trouble down the road.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:01 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 966 Likes on 643 Posts

It can cost you less than $350. Less than $500 can get you a nice upgraded shaft in the front to go with the conversion in the rear.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:07 PM
Three Wheeling

I just read somewhere that the greasable u joints will lose their grease and dry out faster because the DII drive shafts are too close to the exhaust? Not sure about this but I'll check under the vehicle tomorrow. If anyone can confirm or deny before then that would be great. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Why make non greasable u-joints to begin with?!?!?