Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wife's Disco Died, need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 10:15 AM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by jskrebs
So, Now the garage is throwing in the towel and wants the truck removed from their property. They have to re assemble all the stuff they have torn apart. the I have to arrange a tow to somewhere.

Checked KBB value and it's like $2k for a trade in. I am in for a grand on this incident alone.

I'll offer it up as is if a LR enthusiast is interested.

Jeff
as mentioned, check the CPS. Spacers go on the outside. Don't let that Brit defeat you!

Old 12-05-2016, 10:22 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Don't let that Brit defeat you!" LoL

I do have a Lotus with Toyota Power

Have a friend with a fledgling Auto dealership who wants to take this on.

Wish Mike good Luck!

Old 12-05-2016, 11:36 AM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Well, You've conquered one Brit already with a Japanese Ally! Carry on

The following users liked this post:
jskrebs (12-05-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 12:56 PM
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Don't let that Brit defeat you!" LoL

I do have a Lotus with Toyota Power

Have a friend with a fledgling Auto dealership who wants to take this on.

Wish Mike good Luck!
Looks like I'll be taking this project on as my buddy Jeff mentioned. I usually deal with Volvo's and other quirky European vehicles- this will be my first British vehicle. Wish me luck! By the way, this is my first post.

jskrebs (12-05-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 02:48 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good luck Mr. Bond. I'm chasing some misfire codes too...

Old 12-05-2016, 03:08 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Check fuel quality. Been seeing a rash of bad fuel vehicles coming thru our shop doors. Cars and trucks with water, diesel, , etc. Something any tech should check, but **** happens.

MRausch82 (12-05-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 09:27 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 839 Likes on 610 Posts

So, Now the garage is throwing in the towel and wants the truck removed from their property. They have to re assemble all the stuff they have torn apart. the I have to arrange a tow to somewhere.

Checked KBB value and it's like $2k for a trade in. I am in for a grand on this incident alone.

I'll offer it up as is if a LR enthusiast is interested.

Jeff
Sorry to hear this for jsblake, but happy that this Disco is not headed to salvage. Seems like there are a lot of owners who throw in the towel earlier than necessary but economics are economics. At least that seems to be the case based on what I see in boneyards here. Oh well, I guess it allows Paul and Abran and Will and Marty and Mike and others to make a living.

Good luck to MRausch82. And good luck to the truck.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:43 PM
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I finally got the Disco here- According to the receipt, the shop in PA replaced the fuel pump (Bosch), NGK plugs, Coil packs from Atlantic British and some other minor items. I can get it to start but it only runs for a second and shuts off. If I bring the throttle up it sounds normal before losing power and shutting off after a few seconds. It seems like it is running very lean. I disconnected the air flow meter and tried again and there was zero change. It has the original air flow meter on it, so I ordered a used one on ebay. My theory, at this point, is bad/water in fuel or something with the air flow meter or a severe vacuum leak. I am planning to take it to a Land Rover shop in Kennett Square, PA. I really don't want to throw a lot of money at it. Any new insights or ideas on here?

Old 01-19-2017, 11:41 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

I have read threads where the catalytic converters go bad or get plugged up and reek havoc on the engine and it is only found out after the owner has replaced every other part and ran out of options. It is worth a search. There is a way to diagnose a failed cat' from what I remember. The severity of the problems is too strong for a vac leak, IMO but I'm no mechanic.

Last edited by chubbs878; 01-19-2017 at 11:43 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:57 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by MRausch82
Looks like I'll be taking this project on as my buddy Jeff mentioned. I usually deal with Volvo's and other quirky European vehicles- this will be my first British vehicle. Wish me luck! By the way, this is my first post.
Good luck with the project, oh by the way, it's originally a Buick engine

The problem is that many 4x4's have been owned and abused by soccer moms and often passed on 3, 5 or 10th hand and without good quality routine maintenance and then someone buys the 'dawg' and hits all the inherited sh!te.
I'm not saying about this particular truck but in some cases it's the same cause as with any vehicle.

IMHO I reckon I could sort out the engine with the correct diagnosis in 30 minutes without throwing numerous parts and cash at it, there are very few things required to make any engine run, fuel, sparks and air, thereafter compression and correct timing. It's a doddle to eliminate each of these symptoms and even easier with an OBD2 diag. Most of the electronics can be temporarily looped out fairly easily if the diag gets tricky.

Anyways, good luck with the engine, don't quit too easily on it as there's no mystique about rover engines.

Quick Reply: Wife's Disco Died, need help