Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will be rejoining the ranks of D1 ownes soon

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 08:12 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will be rejoining the ranks of D1 ownes soon

After a couple of years away, I am in the process of returning to Land Rover ownership. I once had a 1995 D1, but when a bunch of motor issues cropped up, we traded it off for something else and have been regretting it ever since! My 1998 Grand Cherokee, while a nice 4x4, is nowhere near the ride quality of the Discovery. My wife will be getting the Jeep as the Discovery will be my vehicle as well as the one we take trips in. Since owning my first Discovery, I have read and reread all the info I can find on the net, read the full shop manual I kept from the first D1 from cover to cover, and now feel prepared for the maintance a Discovery needs to keep it reliable. Once our car sells, 2004 Suzuki Aerio AWD wagon, I will be looking for a clean Discovery 1, hopefully in dark green or blue and with the factory brush guard and fog lights in the air dam. I just picked up a pair of the Safari 5000 lamps that it will get once we purchase one. Hopefully in the next month of so it will all happen! Cheers Mike and Michele T

Old 03-26-2007, 08:44 AM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: Will be rejoining the ranks of D1 ownes soon

Good luck I got my 98 le in october and never looked back. Granted she is very fusy at times but still is the best vehicle I ever known. Lets just say it was a very good winter.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:17 AM
Overlanding

This time I am more educated on the ways of keeping the Discovery happy and on the road. My old D1 developed the missfire on all cylinders all the time excpet for idling, it would idle nice and smooth, but would start missing when I tried to accelerate. I now know of several things to try before having to pull the heads to have the valves done. She was clean to, dark blue, factory front brush guard, side steps, rear ladder and the tail light guards. I hope to come close to all the options she had on my next one. Atleast I have the expensive LR driving lamps in my possesion for when I get the D1. Cheers Mike

Old 03-26-2007, 01:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much are those Safari 5000 lights worth???? My service manager just gave me a pair that they had in the shop, to make up for something. Don't know if they're all the same, but the ones I have seem to be fog lights and are 9 inch accross with the removable grill.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:19 PM
Overlanding

I have seen everything from a $100 bucks to $550 on ebay for them. With the advent of much better lights from Lightforce, Hella ect. They have dropped a bit in price lately. I gave $250 for a brand new pair. I would acutualy like to find a second pair to put premantly on my other SUV. If everything goes well this weekend, I will be hopefully trading for a 1998 Discovery 1, 130k miles on her, looks to be in real nice shape overall. Has the factory fog lamps, but no brush guard. So I will be lookin for a used factroy front brush guard for a D1. I also plan to add the rear tail light guards and the ladder on the rear door. Cheers Mike

Old 03-26-2007, 09:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck!!