Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window motor frustration

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 05:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 131 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Window motor frustration

Hello --

I'm in the process of replacing a broken motor in the driver's side window regulator. I managed to get everything disassembled (the regulator/window bolts were a pain), and then found that the harness plug on the motor I ordered from Rovers North is different than that on the motor currently installed.

I checked Atlantic British, and Rovers North again (I had ordered the Proline version), but all of the Discovery II front replacement window motors appear to have the plug like the new one I ordered.

Has anyone else had problems with plug incompatibility on window motors? The one in my truck right now actually looks kind-of like the Discover I motor. The harness from the truck plugs directly into the motor instead of into a lead coming from the motor.

I did have the windows repaired 3-4 years back under warranty by the local LR dealer. I figured I'd check with you guys on the forum since it's weekend, and follow up with the dealer on Monday if I don't hear any other good ideas. I hate to splice and hardwire the cables, but don't know what other options there may be. Autozone didn't have any connectors that mate with those I need.

Thanks!
RedAustinIX (Ed)

Old 08-28-2010, 11:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Usually your motor is fine. Its just the regulator rollers that have popped out of of the lower track. Try assembling the regulator with the motor in it. and see if it will work. I would get a used motor on eBay since they are cheaper than Rovers North.

Land Rover Discovery II 2 Window Motor Left Front Door

2004 Land Rover Discovery Left front door window motor

Old 08-29-2010, 03:11 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 131 Likes on 63 Posts

Thanks Boss --

I tried plugging the disconnected old motor (without regulator) back into the harness to see if it worked. I could hear the switch clicking when I pressed the window button in the console, but the motor didn't do anything, so I am assuming it's burned out.

The photos you posted helped -- they all look like the old motor (no wiring harness), so maybe there are two versions. I might try swapping parts to see if I can get the old one to work, or otherwise I may follow up with your ebay suggestion.

Thanks again!
RedAustinIX (Ed)