Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Regulator troubles

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 02:26 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Regulator troubles

I am having trouble with the window regulator, the half gear that moves the window tracking has fallen off, is this replaceable? the motor on the window still works fine, i am not sure how to re attach this or if i have to buy a new one, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys!

Old 04-24-2014, 05:29 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Amazze
I am having trouble with the window regulator, the half gear that moves the window tracking has fallen off, is this replaceable? the motor on the window still works fine, i am not sure how to re attach this or if i have to buy a new one, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys!
You may be able to spot weld or rivet it back on. It's another common occurrence on D2's when they are a bit older and tired.

**** video but you can see the three spot weld that hold the semi circular winder rack on. If possible drill these out and replace them with peened rivets or even hard pop rivets or possibly spot weld them again. I'm not sure whether you have enough room to be able to screw/bolt them together.
New regulators are very cheap on Ebay in any case. Take note of the video as this will also happen in time as it's happened to mine, basically the motor drive overruns the rack and drops off the end.

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 04-24-2014 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Save yourself the headache and get a new or used one. Which window is it for?

Old 04-24-2014, 07:12 PM
7th Gear
Thumbs up

thanks, it almost seemed silly to ask, i saw the rivets that were once holding it on, but it was such a cheap way to hold it in place i almost couldn't believe it, so i figured i would ask.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:44 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

I have all window regulators in stock. You can reuse your same working motor, just attach it to a new regulator. They're cheaper than you might think.

Shoot me an email or call if interested.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:34 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by ralphobell
Save yourself the headache and get a new or used one. Which window is it for?
its the driver side door, I guess if i am going to replace it i may as well buy a new one. no sense in buying used if it could happen to the used part.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:27 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

its the driver side door, I guess if i am going to replace it i may as well buy a new one. no sense in buying used if it could happen to the used part.

$40/shipped

Old 04-25-2014, 04:29 PM

Good choice. PITA to keep removing the door card and breaking plastic clips (I spray mine with silicon in anticipation) but the regulator will overrun or fail with another issue even if you use old used or repair it. They are fragile and the plastic wheels disintegrate with age. (bit like my brain cells )

Old 04-25-2014, 04:34 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine did the same thing about 2 weeks ago and went with a new one. I have the door panel off when I had to manually raise it but still havent found the time to put the new one in. I have a walkthrough I found saved as a favorite on my PC and it looks pretty simple or at least compared to the lock actuator I had to replace a year or so
back

Here is the post I was going to use for assistance

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-repair-34345/

Old 04-25-2014, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by jdwilks
Mine did the same thing about 2 weeks ago and went with a new one. I have the door panel off when I had to manually raise it but still havent found the time to put the new one in. I have a walkthrough I found saved as a favorite on my PC and it looks pretty simple or at least compared to the lock actuator I had to replace a year or so back
It's a doddle really. Check also the RAVE manual................all up it takes about an hour including 5 minute beer time-outs. The longest part is dismantling the bits and bobs on the door and removing the card.