Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Wiper issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 02:17 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Wiper issue

Ok so my wipers are acting up really bad. I turn them on and they go straight up and stop and will not comeback down. I have to sort of push them a little, just barely and they will resist a little and then go down. They will then comeback up again and stick. This is going on over and over. So basically I cannot drive in the rain. lol. It really sucks and I need to get this fixed. I dont think its the wiper motor as they will go up but wont comeback down.

NOTE: this is while the car is running, not when i stop, so its hard to drive while its raining.

About a month ago. This is a day before I noticed the issue. I noticed the wiper arm cap missing when I washing the car. I thought I should check and see if the arm is tight or loose. So it was tight but I loosened the nut and removed it just for a minute. I then tightned it back down and went on my way to cleaning the car. Is this what caused the issue? Someone please help me here.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:50 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Use a 13mm socket to make sure the nut is tight, holding the arm to the operating bolt. Most of the time this is the problem. If one arm is moving and the other isn't make sure the one that is not moving is tight. If both are tight and only one or neither is moving you have damaged the wiper motor cross member or the motor. Your best bet is to buy a used one off someone parting out a vehicle or one of our trusted parts guys like Will Tillery or Paul Grant. New will run you $180 for the entire assembly.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:05 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both arms are moving together. One arm looks a little lower then the other arm by maybe an inch but not much. But they will both raise up together but both are getting stuck in the up position. Then I barely push just a couple times and they go right back down together. Then they go right back up together and get stuck again. Its sort of like they getting hung on something. I just cant figure out what.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:51 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

First loosen both wiper arm nuts, then run the wipers and see if the motor stops in the same position with no weigh on them.
If yes you need a new wiper motor or transmission, I think they come as one unit.
If they work fine with no weight then look for a obstruction under the cowling.
If no obstruction then I would still say you need a new wiper motor or transmission.
If it was the wiper switch then moving the arms by hand would not make a difference.