Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Woes

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 10:19 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Windshield Woes

Had my windshield replaced by SafeLite back in 2005. It has since leaked but was under the impression (long story) it was coming from sunroofs.

Found out it was coming from windshield after some smoke test. We have fought with SafeLite to have it covered under their "lifetime" warranty. After a lot of fighting (SafeLite is really a crappy company), had the windshield replaced on Thursday.

On Friday, after letting the new windshield set for 24 hours, it failed a leak test. It now leaks in 5 spots. SafeLite is suppose to be coming back out this week to address the matter.

Is there any words of wisdom to provide the SafeLite tech to properly install a windshield into a 2003 Discovery II? It is the heated windshield if that make a difference.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

my guesstimation is that quality with there work varies from installer to installer...

I had issues with my 1st sfgls install and a different installer came out and found the issue immediately. luck of draw maybe, but i'd think the installer is not getting it done properly. it's pretty straightforward if they don't bust the plastic pieces up on removal

Old 10-28-2014, 02:25 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My DI had the same great luck, not sure if it was the glass or the installer but they were back twice to goop over the leaks, ...

Old 10-28-2014, 02:54 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the same issue with mine and removed it myself to find a very rusty pinchweld in spots that had to be carefully prepared to remove the rust and even spots I had to fill in with a little weld and grind, then I removed all the old adhesive and paint and primed it with a good quality two pack epoxy primer in a gun, then let it dry overnight. It took a few hours, adhesive will not stick to an improperly prepared pinchweld and I do not have a lot of confidence in glass company employees taking the proper amount of time to do it right. I installed the glass the next day and it went smoothly other than the fact that replacement glass was a bit smaller than the pilkington I removed.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle

SafeLite replace the Windshield with a new one today. It was tested and STILL LEAKS!

Different spots each time.

The pinchweld issue Two Rock mentioned would make sense if it was always leaking in the same spot.

URGHHHH! This is getting insane!

Old 10-28-2014, 06:35 PM
Three Wheeling

I would cut my losses with safelite and find a small, well reviewed, local glass company or body shop to install a pilkington windshield. I would explain the issue fully, request special attention to the pinchweld because of the past leaks possibly causing a rust issue, and tell them i would rather have it take a couple days than have it leak, and drop it off at their facility rather have it done at your home or office. A small local glass company needs to provide better service to survive, much like a dealer vs. independent shop.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Two Rock
I would cut my losses with safelite and find a small, well reviewed, local glass company or body shop to install a pilkington windshield. I would explain the issue fully, request special attention to the pinchweld because of the past leaks possibly causing a rust issue, and tell them i would rather have it take a couple days than have it leak, and drop it off at their facility rather have it done at your home or office. A small local glass company needs to provide better service to survive, much like a dealer vs. independent shop.
I think your on to the solution. My truck is at a shop having other stuff done to, so being at my house or office can't be their excuse.

I could get SafeLite to just supply me the glass, and I can then take to my own local shop and have it installed. I just don't want to let SafeLite off the hook for a $800 windshield!

Old 10-28-2014, 07:30 PM
Three Wheeling

I hear ya that's no small sum, the problem being that safelite, from what I have heard, makes their own glass of questionable quality and fit. At this point I think they have demonstrated a sufficient amount of incompetence and a complaint for at least partial reimbursement might lie in small claims court, understandably not a preferable option, but the last thing your rover needs are leaks past the pinchweld.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:46 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Disco also leaks. the past owner had it replaced with safelite. From what I remember the glass safe light uses is not as thick as the OEM disco glass.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I am going to ask my shop if they are putting int Pilkington glass.

I am currently giving them hell on the SafeLite facebook page.

Last edited by cybercop; 10-28-2014 at 07:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Windshield Woes