Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter cooling system.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2023 | 12:08 PM
TReK

I don’t really think that there’s a problem using a 190* stat in summer. Unfortunately I parked my P38 (with 190*) for the summer so I can’t tell you for sure how it would have gone. The 190 will be fully open at 190 degrees, so it shouldn’t have any more tendency to an actual overheat than a180*. That’s my thinking anyway.

Old 12-01-2023 | 03:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Mine has just started giving me the P0124 code occasionally.
I put in the hotter 190 thermostat a couple weeks ago just to get quicker heat in the winter.
I need to watch the temps more closely to see if in fact it is running below 175, or if the temp sensor is going bad. It did set off the SAI pump earlier today, which tells me it actually thinks it was too cold. Strangely, it does not always run at start up. It has not really been that cold yet, mostly 20s.
There is no correlation that i can find just yet.

Originally Posted by acg
Richard,

I am actively watching your updates.

I switched to the inline 184F a couple of years, along with the Hayden severe duty fan clutch. Great cooling reserve during the summer for those long slow offroad climbs. But struggled with constant pinging of the low coolant temp error codes last winter. I hear the error code pops up more frequently on the 2003/2004s, particularly with the inline thermostat setup. I am still a big fan of the inline thermostat, especially with the ease of replacement.

However, I ended up changing to the Hayden standard fan hub during the last cold winter. The constant annoying low colant temp error codes went away. Then switched back to the heavy duty version during the hotter months for offraading.

I don't want to have to switch fan hubs (or thermostats) each winter season. Therefore, if the radiator muff helps... this will be fantastic. Looking forward to your updates.

P/S. I also came across two makes of radiator muffs.... the lower priced one from Britpart.... and a much higher priced one from ExMoor. I am wondering if there are any substantial differences between both versions.