Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiper Demons!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 12:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Wiper Demons!

Ok, here’s the deal. Windshield wipers were ‘synchronized swimmers’ until a recent snowstorm when they started knocking into each other and now only work intermittently. I literally have to lift the driver side wiper up and bang it against the windshield a couple of times before it will synch with the passenger wiper. This will go on for maybe 10 minutes or so where they’ll be in synch and then again the driver side just will just lie down and go to sleep. The passenger side is steadily moving along but that doesn’t help me stay on the road. (I’m all for taking the road less travelled but don’t want to end up in the ditch!) At present I’m finding myself pulling off the road to take a breather and to wipe down the driver side manually with my hand which is something I’d rather not have to do. (Do any of you sweet-talk your Rovers? I haven’t tried that yet but am wondering if it would help…) I’ve been messing around with the ‘nut’ on the driver side and tightening things up – am I doing this correctly? I don’t want to get to wit’s end over ‘something’ so silly…… please help!
The Fine Print:Layman’s terms would be much appreciated as, although I’m not new to details, I’m very new to mechanical jargon.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:41 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I curse her out on the regular

Old 01-15-2014, 02:41 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And then beg for forgiveness as I cry tears of agony.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:57 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Sounds like you're low on blinker fluid. Check and fil accordingly.

Don't forgot to whisper sweet nothings into the intake as you tighten down the wiper arm nut. Pull the arm off the windshield. Then, tighten the nut to the appropriate specs. Not sure what they are. Stop when it's tight

Old 01-15-2014, 06:34 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was an angry fellow from Alaska that just made a thread on this very topic. I'm not sure he figured it out as it's ridiculously cold in Alaska and he had no garage. But if some one finds the thread for you, you can at least be angry with along him. I know if I lived somewhere where the weather was that crappy I'd be really damn unhappy about it!
I tried to find the thread but it didnt work. I'm blaming it on the whisky.

PS, MI is too cold too!

Old 01-15-2014, 07:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle

lol.. I don't know how I'd feel about whispering sweet nothings to an inanimate object but if it will help I'm game Yes, I'm definitely done with winter already - the ice is insane. I wiped out in the parking lot tonight and slammed into the back driver side wheel well - that felt good, let me tell you...sprawled on the ice looking up at the trees mumbling to myself 'where am I?'....

Bertha (my Rover) makes me cry daily.. I sing her praises and then cry.. she challenges me so.... I love how she dances thru the snow though - I've got to give her that.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by flavo
There was an angry fellow from Alaska that just made a thread on this very topic. I'm not sure he figured it out as it's ridiculously cold in Alaska and he had no garage. But if some one finds the thread for you, you can at least be angry with along him. I know if I lived somewhere where the weather was that crappy I'd be really damn unhappy about it!
I tried to find the thread but it didnt work. I'm blaming it on the whisky.

PS, MI is too cold too!
Sounds like the start of a good limerick?..

Whiskey? Have one for me - I'm trying to be 'good' this year....

Old 01-16-2014, 12:08 AM
4wd Low

When it's cold, I literally have to keep my wipers on for 5 minutes with no response…then suddenly, they kick into overdrive and go super fast…almost as if they have to cover lost ground. :P

Old 01-16-2014, 10:48 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterG
When it's cold, I literally have to keep my wipers on for 5 minutes with no response…then suddenly, they kick into overdrive and go super fast…almost as if they have to cover lost ground. :P
They are just winding up real tight!

Old 01-22-2014, 03:04 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by SuperSport
They are just winding up real tight!
Never thought of it like that!