Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiper System Troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2021, 07:22 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Wiper System Troubleshooting

We had some good snow here ice here in Texas last week.

My brother had my D2, and he says that the wipers "stopped working".

I wouldn't put it by him to have tried to operate the wipers while they were frozen to the windscreen.

I have not yet inspected it myself yet (am getting the D2 back from him today), so I admit I am flying a bit blind here.

Brother claims motor is not running, but I haven't independently confirmed that.

I read up on the system in the workshop manual, and it seems like there are a lot of possible electrical failure points in addition to the linkage: BCU, IDM (which is integrated into the fuse panel?), relay (also integrated into the fuse panel?), motor.

Anyone have any advice on how to start approaching this assuming it is not a mechanical issue (I've seen the nuts loosen and wipers work their way off the linkages stubs on frozen blades before).

FYI, separately, I am replacing the arms with D1 versions so I can just buy standard blades.

Old 02-25-2021, 09:52 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 141 Likes on 98 Posts

Another common issue is the stalk stops working. You can remove it and rebuild it with not too much trouble. It can be tricky removing it due to the tabs being in a weird place. Don't force it. Once off take it apart, clean all of the contacts, regrease and reinstall. There is a youtube video for it.

Old 02-25-2021, 10:14 AM
TReK
Received 787 Likes on 654 Posts

Not sure about fixing your problem, but the IDM is definitely integrated into the interior fuse box. There are built-in relays in the box, and one of those may be a wiper relay. I'm sure there are other parts of the circuit that are serviceable though.

Old 02-26-2021, 12:00 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks all.

I finally got to the beast and here are the tests I performed.

Confirmed there is power at fuse 19 (and that the fuse is good.

The front wipers, front washers and headlight washers don't make a sound when engaged at the stalk control.

However, the rear wiper and washer performs fine (and you can hear the whirring of the rear washer pump) and as the rear wiper-washer goes thru the BCU and IDM as well, for now I am assuming that those are not the issue.

So right now I am going with the wiper control stalk, though my normal experience is that these don't typically fail all-at-once but rather start failing intermittently at first, which is not the case here.

Can you point me to the video of how to renew it as I cannot seem to find it.

I've had the steering wheel and collar off before and that was pretty easy (after letting the electrical system de-energize for 15-30 min first). Is the trim piece around the steering shaft held on with torx or phillips -- I can't remember?

Old 02-26-2021, 01:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 216 Likes on 143 Posts

If you are talking about the “clamshell” around the steering shaft that is just small philips screws. The airbag comes off with torx. You will need a long skinny to Torx tool like an Allen key.

Old 02-26-2021, 01:55 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 141 Likes on 98 Posts

Here is a video for the headlight side and it goes on the same for the wiper switch.
. You might look for others and search for Discovery 2 headlight switch replacement. The trick is inserting the small thin screwdriver to pop it out. This guy has a pretty big screwdriver, I would use the thinnest you have. Once off it's pretty obvious how to fix it. I didn't need to remove the steering wheel.

Old 02-27-2021, 07:33 AM
Rock Crawling

Thanks. I knew I had used a long torx on it somewhere in the process of removing the steering wheel.

Would be great if he had actually removed it as I understand there is more or more guide pins that align it and hold it in place, but I'll look for more videos.

Old 02-27-2021, 11:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 216 Likes on 143 Posts

It’s not too bad to remove as someone said use a thin flat screw driver. Here are some pics of one I have already removed if that helps.

Old 02-09-2022, 09:38 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh noo... Where is the rest of the story... I seem to be having the same exact issue, still need to get to the car to test the fuse (hope that may be it) or else I will have to do the stalk cleaning though it is strange that it may have just broke down without any real prior issues... This happened after a rain +freeze storm...