Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wires pulled out of plug!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 05:28 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wires pulled out of plug!

Spike555 - I'll be forever indebted to you and much thanks to your wife for her part.
D2G - Good Gosh, the understatement of the day! Had to have been a gallon of water in that sponge of an underlayment!

I promise never to take that kickplate off ever again!
I'll keep my eyes open Spike, and my fingers crossed that you could see what I need!
Again, thanks guys,
Todd

Old 08-31-2008, 06:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

hold on a sec here... todd, how sure are you that they pulled out of that connector... what you have labeld as the plug they came out of is a ground header... C2028 in LR terms... it also looks like the wires are all connected in your pictures, as in not seperate wires, like a/v wires hooked up to your tv, if that makes any sense... is that right? also, are there any tracers on the wire, or are they all solid colors? correct me here, but im seeing a red, yellow blue green and black... im not seeing any connectors over there with those colors... any chance that you have something extra over there??

Old 08-31-2008, 07:06 PM
4wd High

Roverguy - first, thanks for your post!
You are correct about the five colors (RYBGBlack) I can't find anything nearby that is "missing" wires.
My thought was that the ends of these wires look like they belong in the plug (Ground Header).
The opposite side that plugs into this header has five all black wires (no stripes or marks on them)

I assume that these were pulled out as immediately after, I got a small buzzing form another wired piece in the same area, and my Horn alarms non stop until I use the keyfob to stop it. Open a door, get the horn. Try to start it, get the horn.

I assumed that these wires were some how related to this new problem.

Thoughts? (and tons of thanks!)
Todd

Old 08-31-2008, 07:34 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

do you by chance have an aftermarket alarm system?? i am pretty sure that those wires arent factory. if the problem started right after taking everything apart, then yeah, something there is the problem, are these wires all joined together? try pulling down the kick panel they go behind, where do they go to? does the unlock and lock work normally, aside from the alarm going off?

Old 08-31-2008, 08:00 PM
4wd High

Roverguy,
Yes, the wires are seemingly grouped together. I can't see a path for them above the glove box. I bought the Disco when it was three years old - I don't think that it is aftermarket as the keyfobs look LR Original and came with the car when I bought it. The problem did just start when I pushed too hard on the panel trying to get it back in place. The electric Lock/Unlock doesn't work now (since the "happening"). Nor, can I start it. No crank at all as the alarm continues to go off and I have to turn the key off and press the keyfob to silence it....
What a mess....I was so close to success with the Condensation problem!!!!
I don't know what to do!
Todd

Old 08-31-2008, 10:06 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Todd-CandiMan has a post on removing his headliner and cleaning it, in his last post he has a pic of the same wireharness that I e-mailed you.
His pic is better than mine and at a differant angle, if you take the two pics you might beable to figure it out.
Good luck.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:01 AM
4wd High

I just spent the past hour in my Disco, and here's an update:
1. Disconnected the battery, hoping for it to reset my security system
2. Roverguy - you were right! The plug that I thought housed the wires in fact does not. It's a C2028 Ground Header as you identified!
3. I'm working to trace the five wires that appeared to be the problem..having to pull the glove box out, etc.

So, while down in the repair zone, I noticed the Alarm ECU box that I've heard click/whine/squeak over the years. I've quickly read other people's complaints about this unit and am starting to wonder if this could be my problem. My unit (remember, purchased this Disco used) appears to have been broken off of its mounting brackets (Pic 1).
I've unplugged the two bundles, and when I shake it, it has a "loose wire sound."
Inside, I can't find any loose parts, but there is definitely a loose spring/wire sound when shook.

I've just started reading about this Alarm ECU and sounds to me that I could have been chasing a wild duck with the five wires.
Unanswered questions:
1. Not sure why it appears to be broken off of wherever it was originally mounted
2. Does this unit likely need to be replaced?
3. Is there a way to bypass it to get me running?

I'm heading back out to the Disco to attempt a reassemble to see if I've lucked out here...
Thanks so much for your assistance guys - You've been awesome.
Todd

[IMG]local://upfiles/11315/D752B55213644507913D966C7E56B346.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/11315/D275E93F1AAC48EFA1D557C007F8CB75.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-01-2008, 09:09 AM
Team Owner

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=86
Todd-This might help.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:06 PM
4wd High

Spike and Roverguy7,
After leaving my battery disconnected for an hour, removing and resetting the plugs in the Alarm ECU, it started right up.
No annoying alarm, no issues. Perfect. I'm still clueless as to what the five wires are, but without ripping the dash apart, I'll just have to leave it at that. Spike, if it wasn't for you, I would have pushed my Disco off a bridge. Your pictures matched mine, causing me to dig deeper. Roverguy7 - you got me questioning myself as well, and pushed me into the right spot. I owe you two immensely for your time and for staying with me on this. How do I repay you? Truly, thanks so much.
Todd

Old 09-01-2008, 02:33 PM
Team Owner

A thank you is plenty.