Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won't go into gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 10:21 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't go into gear

I last posted when I had an issue and recvd lots of help turns out it was the CPS like most had stated, hard to maneuver this site on mobile and I think I posted my question as a reply in my first thread whoops but last night after trying to enjoy my holiday I get back to my 03 discovery II (been told it's a II anyhow) HSE7 that I just bought in march and it won't go into gear 😣 I've never had this issue before out of any car so I have no idea where to even start or what it could be. Anyone ever have this happen or have any clue as to what it could possibly be? Almost like the auto gear shifter was stuck somehow he managed to force it maybe into drive and I drove it straight home but once in park again once home I tried again and it was stuck there again so I just parked it and cut it off and haven't been back out today to try again because I'm likely gonna get the same end result. Someone please help? I never owned a Land Rover before this is my first and I am clueless

Old 07-05-2017, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

It's either the brake switch (very common especially with the older design unit), or the shifter interlock. You can be on your way in seconds though! Carefully pull up on the PRND321 assemly and you'll see a little solenoid on the shifter assembly with a little pin that blocks you moving the shifter. Simply push it in and shift it into D and you're good to go until you inspect/replace the brake switch. Auto Zone sells the new improved designed unit in a Duralast box however it's an OEM Land Rover part that is much much cheaper vs Atlantic British.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:47 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

^ best beat me to it!

There is a solenoid on the shifter that retracts when you press on the brakes.

when you press down on the pedal do you hear anything at the shifter? Do you have brake lights when pedal is pressed? Could be as simple as a brake switch or a faulty/seized solenoid at the shifter. Spill any big gulps into your shifter assembly recently?

Old 07-05-2017, 10:51 AM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I ran into this earlier this year and like Best4x4 says, pick up a duralast unit from Auto Zone or Napa.

It's an easy fix and you can google land rover discovery 2 brake switch and find a video or two on YouTube that will visually describe the quick fix that Best4x4 is describing. That fix kept me driving for two days until I got the new brake switch.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:54 AM
Mudding

Wow thank you all so much. I will take all this advice and see what happens. I was really worried it was something bad. As for brake light question idk I was not able to check that as I just hurried and drove straight home but I will. I do know my service engine soon light came on during the whole freak out of trying to get it into drive but not sure if it's still on now or not as I have not went to the Rover today yet and messed with it.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
You can be on your way in seconds though! Carefully pull up on the PRND321 assemly and you'll see a little solenoid on the shifter assembly with a little pin that blocks you moving the shifter. Simply push it in and shift it into D and you're good to go ...
Pictures for how to do the above are here: https://landroverforums.com/forum/ge...-switch-84870/

Old 07-05-2017, 05:14 PM
Mudding

Hey guys so I did what you all stated and now I can get it in gear etc but my service engine soon light is still on, would a faulty brake switch or other things you all stated make the service engine soon light come on?

Old 07-05-2017, 05:20 PM
Mudding

Also i do not have brake lights so I guess I have both problems then? Need new brake light switch and need to fix the gear shifter? And no I've not spilled anything into it but I just bought it in march and when I pulled up that shifter cover....YUCK. The ppl before me I bought it from had like 5 kids so it was nasty dirty down in there even a buncha loose change lol

Old 07-05-2017, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Originally Posted by Meldav32
Also i do not have brake lights so I guess I have both problems then? Need new brake light switch and need to fix the gear shifter? And no I've not spilled anything into it but I just bought it in march and when I pulled up that shifter cover....YUCK. The ppl before me I bought it from had like 5 kids so it was nasty dirty down in there even a buncha loose change lol
Replace the brake switch & have the code read for the CEL.

Old 12-24-2022, 09:54 PM
4th Gear

I have a 2016 Land Rover Discovery it will not go into gear

Quick Reply: Won't go into gear