Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worst oil change I ever did!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 10:18 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Worst oil change I ever did!

I'm due for an oil change and have a lot of driving to do in the upcoming Christmas week so I got out eary this morning to get it done. Here in Houston we have been having heavy fog and a lot of humidity due to the Gulf of Mexico being so close (warm wet air meets recently frosty land mass). Anyway my driveway was wet (garage is too full of crap) so I put down a plastic tarp and then an old moving blanket that I use to lie on under the car. Drained the oil fine other then accidentally letting the used filter slip out of my hand and soak my arms with nice warm black motor oil!

Then I poured a little fresh Royal Purple oil into the filter and refitted it to the engine. I cleaned up the drips below and lowered the car and added the rest of the recently opened bottle to the filler port on top. That was when I noticed that the bottle was not oil but a bottle of Royal Purple ATF Transmission fluid!!! Apparently the store where I bought the oil restocked the shelf wrong; I checked and I seem to have purchased 5 bottles of oil and one bottle of ATF fluid.

So after a few words that you should not say around children I raised the front end and re-drained what had gone into the oil pan and removed the filter and just used a new one (luckily I usually buy several at a time). And some how I had a few more bottles of oil from a previous purchase so I added 6 qts of oil.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but a few little traces of ATF fluid that may have remained should not be too detrimental to my engine now should it???

Old 12-20-2008, 10:45 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Worst oil change I ever did!

Actually a little amount will be good for it, ATF is a good cleaning agent. Not to worry about it.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:59 AM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could see my self Easily doing something like that. But I agree with the above post. All is well!

Old 12-20-2008, 08:12 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I agree with these guys, your fine.