General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

LR3 HSE - Worst car I ever bought.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 03:54 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LR3 HSE - Worst car I ever bought.

I bought a used 2006 LR3 HSE a few months back and it has been nothing but trouble.

The dealership I bought it from was a large, seemingly high end place... not a corner lot. They made me sign a bunch of forms that certify that I know I was buying a used vehicle with no warranty. This, apparently is how they sell all their used cars.... this LR3 was supposedly traded in by a dentist who was the only previous owner (saw the carfax)... so it was supposed to be good.

problems started a month or so after owning it.
1. if you leave it sitting for a week or so the battery dies.

2. large clunk when going over speed bumps or offroad.... which has now turned into a violent death wobble when braking. goes away with hard braking.. worse with softer braking.

3. I get random screen warnings all the time... one day it will be DSC, HDC Fault System Not Available, parking sensors.... ect...

one day there was a transmission warning and the thing wouldn't turn... gave it 20 minutes (me sitting in a parking lot), then it starts up just fine.

Got a check engine light, went to autozone and they did a reading... said is was an o2 sensor.. cleared it.. hasn't came back for months now.

sometimes ill just be driving calmly down the road and hear a loud ping...

4. as of last night... the ac doesn't blow out cold air... blower works... just not cold.

I love the ride of the car... love the driving position, off road capabilities, ect.... but its having a helluva lot of issues.

Im not sure if its worth trying to sell and just accept my losses or what.

Because i think with the cost of the work i need done (im thinking control arms bushing for the wobble and clunk) that I will have to invest a few thousand into this..

the chevy dealer i bought it from is two hours away.. so its not like I can just roll up there anytime. Thinking of taking it to a land rover dealer (1 hour away) and see if they can reflash the computer, check some fuses/relays or something.. since they would know more than the chevy dealer anyway.

uuhhh.... this suck because i love the car... just hate the issues.

Thanks for letting me vent....

Old 06-15-2013, 04:16 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

That is what happens when you do not have a pre-purchase inspection done prior to buying a vehicle.
So, are you at all mechanical? Some of what is currently wrong can be easily resolved if you can follow directions.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:12 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, I didnt get it pre-inspected.

I knew going into it I was buying a used vehicle and since i got a great deal on it, i thought if i had to spend $500 or so getting it tuned up and working right i would still come out ahead of buying something with lower miles or a few years newer..

Seems with the issues im am going to have to drop a little more than $500 though.

Didn't know about the control arm bushing issue though... guess that's kind of like the 2004-2007 f150 spark plug issue.. you only find out after you bought it and find out through joining forums like this.

I'm fairly good mechanically... I have a decent tool set and can follow guides well.

PS... if this is a clue.... i have noticed that lately the car when resting a few days that the front is lowered but the back end isnt... maybe the leveling system has to do with something?

Any tips? ...this is my first land rover.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Last edited by Doc Fluty; 06-16-2013 at 12:15 AM.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

You can download the LR3 shop manuals at the link below.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:58 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

So you bought a used car with no warrantee and you can't believe you have spend money on it. Dude you should have bought from a company that has some sort of warrantee to go along with it even if its a year policy. This is true of any car. Plus they did absolutely nothing to the car so what do you expect.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

One tip would be a brand new big as will fit battery. The electrical gremilns love this vehicle that has more computers and sensors than seem possible to shoe horn into a truck.