Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

would a bad cv axel cause this?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 06:05 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default would a bad cv axel cause this?

I have been hunting a noise that appears when I turn into my driveway, but only then can I tell it is happening. It SOUNDS like it is near the front passenger wheel. I've tested ball joints, and they appear fine as well as just about everything else underneath, including tierod ends. I even replaced the fluids in the difs and transfer case as that solved the issue for one D2 owner. Two weeks ago I finally found one of the drop links was loose (I don't know how it took that long), and replaced the front ones on Saturday. I also swapped out the winter tires for the summer tires (I am in Norway). After I got done, I went for a short drive and everything seemed fine, except I noticed the truck would sometimes pull, mostly to the right, but sometimes to the left, like the alignment was off, but not always. Sunday we were out and when I turned into the driveway, lo-and-behold the noise was back. I checked the drop links, no play whatsoever, and still had issues with the steering. I don't hear any of the trademark CV joint/axel issues, but I don't know what else it could be at this point. That is one issue, but the steering issue is another altogether. It did not do this before I swapped the tires/drop links. I don't see any physical issues with the tires and it doesn't seem likely that would cause the randomness of the pulling. I can't imagine how having a functioning swaybar would cause this to happen, but maybe? Could a bad CV cause the truck to pull randomly to one side? It happens 90% of the time to the right. I don't want to take it to a shop as I'd like to retire one day lol. Any advice on what to check would be greatly appreciated.

Potentially of note: I replaced the brakes in Jan/Feb, and they recently started to squeak a bit when stopping in the driveway, but show no other issues. (EBC Green pads, TerraFirm wavy drilled rotors, new calipers up front, can't recall the brand).

2004 Disco 2, 01 Rover 4.0 V8 (previous owner), 205000km.

(leaving work, steering wheel pulling hard right)
(noise when entering driveway)
(some more of the wheel pulling)