Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would it make sense to get a used Hub?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 10:57 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Would it make sense to get a used Hub?

I need a new hub for my 2002 Disco II. New ones are $400 used ones are $200. My mechanic said he refused to install a used one because he said it did not make any sense. Btw that was the last time I will take my truck there, DIY all the way now. So does that make sense? Since it is a mechanical part is it better to buy a new part? I know roverland parts has a 90 day warranty on all their parts.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:32 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If the old hub has wear, you are putting in the same as you are taking out. Roverland wouldn't sell you a worn out hub. I think you will be ok.

But for what you are doing, I would suggest getting a new one. You are saving the difference, if not more by doing it yourself.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:50 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Roverland parts will not sell you a hub that hasn't been thoroughly inspected and determined to be in serviceable condition. That's why they can put a 90 day guarantee on the part. However, even though it has been inspected it is still a used part. It's not going to last as long as a brand new hub (in a perfect). In the long run I think you'll save money by using the new hub. You're already saving money by doing the work yourself.

On a side note, I would suggest finding a mechanic that you trust to take your Rover to. Even though I do nearly all my own work I still have a mechanic that I go to when things get too much for me or when I need a second opinion. It's good to have a mechanic that knows your vehicle that you can call with questions. Just something I thought I'd pass on for you to think about.

Old 03-25-2009, 11:53 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AK Rover
On a side note, I would suggest finding a mechanic that you trust to take your Rover to. Even though I do nearly all my own work I still have a mechanic that I go to when things get too much for me or when I need a second opinion. It's good to have a mechanic that knows your vehicle that you can call with questions. Just something I thought I'd pass on for you to think about.
Good advice when I lived in Queens I had a great guy. I moved to Buffalo and have not found anyone yet besides the dealership. Maybe I will ask the next Disco driver I see.