Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Write your oil reviews here

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 02:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya if i'm gone i'll just leave it somewhere and you can slip the cash in my mailbox or something

Old 11-01-2012, 04:58 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been used Rotella T 15w-40 year round in Hawaii. I have had no issues. I occasionally get a tick here and there after the car has sat for weeks on end (due to my job) or just a few days if I start it at night (which can get pretty brisk for Hawaii standards).

Old 11-01-2012, 06:24 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I use Rotella 15w-40 in the summer.
Rotella 5w-40 in the winter.
I use the standard sized oil filter, I just bought 3 Baldwin oil filters off of e-bay for $15 shipped to my door.
I always change my oil every 5,000 miles no matter what.
My engine has always been nice and happy.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:02 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

anyone try Rislone? Marvel? ATF? Lucas? or STP?

Old 11-01-2012, 07:08 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by binvanna
anyone try Rislone? Marvel? ATF? Lucas? or STP?
Snake oil.

Car maintenance bibles: Oil Additives

Car maintenance bibles: Snakeoil

Old 11-01-2012, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Starting with a good condition truck, the additives will do little for them with daily driving. Lucas is good if you have an engine that sits un-used for long periods of time, like construction equipment. MMO is good for getting thru sludge, but if you change oil frequently and use something like Rotella, less sludge to worry with. All of the snake oil products (I have purchased many of them) work on the eternal hope that you can do something for your vehicle, and the eternal fear that if you don't it will be very expensive. Some people flush with ATF. There are more advanced products, like BG, that can do a better job of sludge removal. All sorts of homebrew mixes for oil flush, like fill up entire engine to the top of the valve covers with kerosene and Sea Foam and let is sit for a week before draining.

Change oil early and often. Use good gas. Clean out the PCV system. Don't fall for the old idea of a new filter every other oil change. Dealer would rather sell you a new engine than a new filter. I do like the jumbo filters (more oil capacity is a good thing). I do like the diesel rated oils because they have more cleaning compounds to deal with blow by, and keep the crud in suspension so the filter can grab it.

From the good articles Spike posted -

about solvents -

As a general rule of thumb these products had their place and were at least moderately useful on older automobile and motorcycle engines of the Fifties and Sixties, but are basically unneeded on the more efficient engine designs of the past two decades

That would be when the Buick guys designed the engine (like in a Skylark) that Rover purchased. Old School Rules.

Read more: http://www.carbibles.com/snakeoil.html#ixzz2B1a0yIpE

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 11-01-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Rotella 15w40 year round for the past 2 years with no complaints. I live in central Missouri and have no starting issues in the winter. About 2k miles prior to the last oil change I added some Rislone Zinc additive, and put more in it when I changed oil 2k ago.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:31 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

aw, c'mon... you mean you never tried Slick 50? I think I got like 20hp and a boost of 7mpg after I lined my cylinders with PTFE.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

aw, c'mon... you mean you never tried Slick 50? I think I got like 20hp and a boost of 7mpg after I lined my cylinders with PTFE.
Dyno'd? I did try '50 when it first came out...I believe it was 1990. My uncle owns a body/service center and told me to try it, so I did. I do recall feeling a difference. The only thing I didn't like about the product that it disappates after each oil change.

Currently, I am doing more research on Zmax to help my start up tick/knocks, since I don't drive my Disco that often. From the "open the engine up" results, I am really considering this product.

I like Mobil, Kendall, Lubro Moly, and Honda-brand.

I have experience with Pennzoil, Castrol, and Chevron which I would say I don't care for them, but I can't point to them and say they fall short of SAE or anything.
I have the exact same feeling about the same products, just due to all the vehicles and motorcycles I've owned.

In regards to Lubro.....I always trip out when I pour it in any of the BMW's. It just seems like a weird lubricant, but hell, it works really good, but really expensive. Kendall, love it. But who the heck sells it now-a-days??!?!? I can't find it any longer.

I would use Redline for the engine, but again WAY too expensive. I only use it for the drive train. Here in California, Rotella 15-40 works really well and is really worth the money (very low cost) and Walmart is a great source.

On a side note.....

My brother and I used to have other LR's (Defender and 2 other Disco's) serviced by West Coast British, owned by one of the oldest US LR guru's. He always used 20/50 Castrol and told us not to use anything else. I thought it was too thick, but we kept with it for years. Never had ANY issues at all.

Last edited by wheelgarage; 11-02-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:36 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rotella 15w40, Baldwin B2, every 3k.

Smooth, quiet.

no problems with cold start, my DII sleeps in a garage.

Quick Reply: Write your oil reviews here