Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrong Gas, New Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 07:55 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrong Gas, New Noise?

Hey Everyone:

I stopped to get gas on my 2003 LR Discovery this afternoon.

The man who pumped the gas may have put in the wrong type of gas. I asked for "Medium", and the receipt says "Unleaded Plus"

However, after I left the pump, whenever I pressed the accelerator, the engine began sounding a bit more high pitched than normal. All the gauges were fine, and the car operated perfectly; Even when idling.

However, when I turned the wheel when coming out of a stop, I noticed the noise a bit more. Again, the steering felt fine and the vehicle feels fine.

I checked the power steering tank, and both ACE and standard fluid levels are slightly above the "MIN" level.

I checked under the car for a leak, and there appears to be a VERY small puddle, which has the consistency of oil. The puddle is directly below the oil filter. I had the oil filter changed and oil changed a few days ago. Frankly, I have never checked for fluids under my Rover before, so this may just be normal condensation from running the AC a bit.

What is going on?!

Old 04-12-2011, 07:59 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Since "medium" isn't a term I've ever heard used for fuel, I would have guessed plus as well. Did you intend to get 89 octane fuel? Because that's what you got.

AC condensate doesn't come from under the oil filter, and it isn't oily. You have an oil leak. It could be as simple as the filter not being on tight enough. Put your hand on it and tighten it.

I have no idea about the noise. Sounds like the PAS (power steering) pump. After driving, how does the fluid look in the reservoir? Is it foamy?

Old 04-12-2011, 08:08 PM
6th Gear

Thanks for the response.

I haven't look at the fluid after driving. (I was afraid to open the cap, as the manual states only do this when the engine is cool - Maybe I'm just too much of a rookie hehe)

I'm having new tires put on tomorrow, so I'll mention it to the mechanic when he lifts her up.

I'll keep you posted, though.

Thanks again!

Old 04-12-2011, 08:33 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alowrun
Hey Everyone:

I stopped to get gas on my 2003 LR Discovery this afternoon.

The man who pumped the gas may have put in the wrong type of gas. I asked for "Medium", and the receipt says "Unleaded Plus"

However, after I left the pump, whenever I pressed the accelerator, the engine began sounding a bit more high pitched than normal. All the gauges were fine, and the car operated perfectly; Even when idling.

However, when I turned the wheel when coming out of a stop, I noticed the noise a bit more. Again, the steering felt fine and the vehicle feels fine.

I checked the power steering tank, and both ACE and standard fluid levels are slightly above the "MIN" level.

I checked under the car for a leak, and there appears to be a VERY small puddle, which has the consistency of oil. The puddle is directly below the oil filter. I had the oil filter changed and oil changed a few days ago. Frankly, I have never checked for fluids under my Rover before, so this may just be normal condensation from running the AC a bit.

What is going on?!
alowrun...super premium only...91 octane or higher...you are destroying your engine...our alluminum engines don't take heat well and lower octane gas burns at a much higher temperature. Read your OM.

If it has the consistancy of oil, it is probably oil...who changes your oil?...whoever did might have over tightened the filter and crushed the gasket...or maybe didn't replace (or put back) the washer from the bolt that drains the oil pan.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:46 PM
Rock Crawling

It could be the front crankshaft seal causing the oil leak. I have changed mine two times now.

Willie

Old 04-12-2011, 08:55 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

If oil is leaking onto the serpentine belt it will squeal.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:36 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by alowrun
I haven't look at the fluid after driving. (I was afraid to open the cap, as the manual states only do this when the engine is cool - Maybe I'm just too much of a rookie hehe)
That's your coolant reservoir. The power steering reservoir is on the other side of the engine compartment.