General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

whats wrong with the discovery?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 02:35 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats wrong with the discovery?

hey all....i'm looking to buy a used discovery but a lot of people are talking about it not being a good buy.....can someone just let me know what are the usual problems that come up after 60k
thanks

Old 08-05-2005, 01:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: whats wrong with the discovery?

welcome. the disco has it quirks. most are not big deals. Maintianence is a big deal. You keep it there and it will be one of the best vehicles you will own. If you buy, make sure the maintianence records are there and are right. get it inspected completely. The parts are expensive. I good part is that I have a 96 disco with 130k on it. I maintain it better than the recommended levels. never been strander, I have spent about 5k in maintainence and parts, to include tires and brakes, over a ten year period. That is pretty good in my book for any vehicle. That is the big deal about discos. look around there is alot of info on the site that can give you alot of help. gotta love a rover. duboff.

Old 12-18-2005, 09:41 PM
Rock Crawling

The discovery is a great vehicle I know because I own two a 96 and a 2000 and both have serve me very well. The goal is to take care of the vehicle basic oil change, tune ups and making sure everything is leveled off right do this and a discovery will be your best friend and last you YEARS. Those who down the discovery are candya## people who don't how to take care of a fine british 4x4 remember those who make land rover also make Bentley's The discovery has it shares of glitches but it sure beat's the hell out of Ford's Mercedes Nissan's Chevy's Jeep's Hummer H2's and H3's and yes in my Toyota's.

Old 12-21-2005, 10:31 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Disco's and other Land Rovers are not cheap to take care of so you find people
that buy them and can't afford to have things done when its to be done.
Then they sell them and someone buys the problems.
The same thing happens with BMW and Mercedes.
Land Rover dealers charge $85 to $98 per hr labor.
The best thing is to ask to see the service history, no history run fast.
LOL Mike.