Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wtk info on 1998 discovery?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts
Default wtk info on 1998 discovery?

hi i have been looking at buying a discovery and some discoverys seem to be rotted out in the same spot under the door strikers on both rear doors is this a common problem? are there any other common problems I should look for when checking out one of these trucks? thanks

Old 03-22-2009, 08:57 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the same rust as you mentioned and from what I've read, it's a common problem... especially if you live in the rust belt. The only other problems I know of are door handles, door latches and the CDL shifter being seized up from lack of use. Also there are a few electrical issues you might find, like sunroof not working or rotary coupler is bad. The engine and tranny in these are terrific. Just minor problems that creep up on occassion. How much are these Disco's you're looking at?

Eric

Old 03-22-2009, 10:06 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Common problems on DI's are the ABS light being on, the cruise control not working, sunroofs not working, rear windows not working, power door locks not working, cargo door wont open from the outside, CDL level being seized.
All of these are common and easy DIY fixes so dont let them worry you, just use them to your advantage to haggle a lower price.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

I am looking at a 1998 blue with tan leather int, has rear jumpseats, rear air, rear defrost on all 3 big back windows, all power windows work, has the brush bumper in front and the ladder on the back and has the heavy duty military type front axle, it is $2200 with salvage on the title, this includes getting the title straight with dmv so I can register it, it is a recovered theft, the front seats and seatbelts were gone, it is at my friends shop and I saw it when it came in from the auction thats all that was missing, it runs, no smoke, no noises and drives and stops i will be using a dealer tag when i get time to drive it and make sure everything works (like the trans), 4x4 shifter is stuck in 4x2 and there are the 2 rust holes 1 under each rear door striker, he has a rolled one for me to scavange any parts I might need, we already replaced the seats, i didn't notice what the miles were on it, has working keyless entry, i am in n.j. usa

Old 03-23-2009, 07:02 PM
Team Owner

The two "defrosters" on the side windows are the FM and AM radio antenna.
These trucks are FULL TIME FOUR WHEEL DRIVE THERE IS NO TWO WHEEL DRIVE OPTION!!

Old 03-23-2009, 09:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tom,
I think that after you invest money to bring this vehicle up to speed, you could get a disco with a much better history. Things that I would check that may be out of the ordinary

axle fluid- mine had water mixed with oil in rear axle due to leaking breather valve on top of axle.

do you need to tow? do you have the american trailer light plug?

do you have the crossmembers for the roof rack?

how about the lug wrench--it is a large size that I cant seem to find at an auto store

radio require code?

tie rod ends- the rubber dry rots and if one fails, you could loose control of the vehicle

rotors and brakes-- they are very easy to change the pads and inexpensive, but I have never seen rotors that are damaged so easily.

exhaust system rust

I know that these are things that I have had to address on a 98 disco 1 that was actually in really good condition.

John

Old 03-24-2009, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Spike555
The two "defrosters" on the side windows are the FM and AM radio antenna.
These trucks are FULL TIME FOUR WHEEL DRIVE THERE IS NO TWO WHEEL DRIVE OPTION!!
ok then the diff shifter is stuck

Old 03-24-2009, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

[quote=oljohnboy;108625]Tom,
I think that after you invest money to bring this vehicle up to speed, you could get a disco with a much better history. Things that I would check that may be out of the ordinary

axle fluid- mine had water mixed with oil in rear axle due to leaking breather valve on top of axle.

do you need to tow? do you have the american trailer light plug?

got a diesel truck for towing

do you have the crossmembers for the roof rack?

i think these are there

how about the lug wrench--it is a large size that I cant seem to find at an auto store
lug wrench and jack and spare tire all there

radio require code?
yes it needs the code guess they will goto the dealer like the usualy do unless there is a list here

tie rod ends- the rubber dry rots and if one fails, you could loose control of the vehicle
still need to shakedown the front

rotors and brakes-- they are very easy to change the pads and inexpensive, but I have never seen rotors that are damaged so easily.

I used to be a buick dealer tech so I try to do as much myself as possible

exhaust system rust

I hear a leak so it will need exhaust work

how are these on gas? 15mpg?,10mpg?, 2mpg?

Old 03-24-2009, 04:02 PM
Team Owner

You MUST use premium gas, and when well tuned and driven right you can expect 15mpg as a daily driver, 18-20 expressway.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:10 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

uh, just my 2 cents, but the rotors are not that easy to change. You have to pull the axles on the rear, and the drive members on the front. The rotors are bolted to the backs of the hubs. You have to service the wheel bearings while you are there.

On a D2, you pull the caliper and pop the rotor off...

Just didn't want you to think it was going to be a quick job. Not necessarily hard, but not quick by any means, and a lot more complicated than most.

Quick Reply: wtk info on 1998 discovery?