Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XYZ switch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 05:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
12.5 is low voltage for the battery, should be up in the 13.6 range and 14.4 volts with the alternator at 2000 RPM's.
12.5 Volts is with the car off, Mike. It's the same as alternator voltage when running.

Spike, the terminals have been cleaned and are snug. The battery is about 18 months old.

I had the flashing lights before and the battery was swapped when I first bought it. That took care of the problem then. I was hoping it would now as well, but it seems like the XYZ switch more than a voltage problem based on the readings I'm getting.

I'll swap out batteries with my GF this weekend just in case, though. She has the same high amp battery in her Xterra that was replaced just 6 months ago.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem was, indeed, the XYZ switch.

After removing, cleaning, and resinstall the problem then manifested itself by not shifting out of D1. No M and S lamps, though.

Anyway, I just today received a used switch from Roverland parts. It took all of 15 minutes this time around (as opposed to 2 hours the first time through...) to get the old one out and new(er) one back in.

It started up and shifts fine.

Given the number of threads about this subject recently, someone might want to make a sticky.

Now to tackle that cold weather windshield wiper problem...

Old 03-25-2019, 09:15 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
If your "M" & "S" lights are coming on and you are going into limp mode you have low battery voltage.
Check your alternator and battery.
My land rover discovery 2 2003 when started and gear engaged, M & S lights come on(blinks) and goes into limp mode. But I observed that if I stopped after say 10mins of driving(maybe at a gas station or for any reason - by then engine has warmed up) and restart the engine, the light is cleared and gear shifts normal. What can I do?

Old 04-25-2019, 09:15 AM
Drifting

mine is doing the exact same thing. I replaced the battery with the 900cca and made new cables and ends. In R it never does it but as soon as I shift into D that it starts. Mine does not go into limp mode. If I drive about a mile or so and turn it off and wait 10 seconds and start it back up it goes away and does not come back on till it sits overnight. I am lost.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:59 AM
TReK
Received 761 Likes on 629 Posts

mine was doing that recently. swapped the xyz with the known-good one from my parts truck and made sure to position it correctly. problem has completely disappeared.
that also allowed me to open up and refurbish the one that was originally giving me problems without having to worry about being completely disabled. there was a reasonable amount of corrosion and mis-alignment of the connectors inside. so now i have a spare.

The following users liked this post:
EAustin494 (04-25-2019)
Old 04-25-2019, 11:50 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by meltdowndave
The problem was, indeed, the XYZ switch.

After removing, cleaning, and resinstall the problem then manifested itself by not shifting out of D1. No M and S lamps, though.

Anyway, I just today received a used switch from Roverland parts. It took all of 15 minutes this time around (as opposed to 2 hours the first time through...) to get the old one out and new(er) one back in.

It started up and shifts fine.

Given the number of threads about this subject recently, someone might want to make a sticky.

Now to tackle that cold weather windshield wiper problem...
Re-lubricate the stalk, and that should take care of it. I had to redo my light switch as well.

Old 04-25-2019, 02:53 PM
4wd High

I'm in the middle of replacing my XYZ switch ('03 Disco) and the tension nut for the control arm seems to have stripped as I re-assembled. Has anyone else had this issue?

Old 04-25-2019, 03:15 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 819 Likes on 596 Posts

I'm not sure what you mean by control arm. If you mean the selector shaft onto which the XYZ mounts, I stripped the threads on it many years ago. It was great fun to get a die up into that space to re-thread it, but it is held in place for years. Is that what you're referring to?

Old 04-25-2019, 03:53 PM
4wd High

Yes, that is exactly the situation I have. I'll try using a nut splitter, rethreading and adding a new one.

Old 04-25-2019, 04:07 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by mln01
I'm not sure what you mean by control arm. If you mean the selector shaft onto which the XYZ mounts, I stripped the threads on it many years ago. It was great fun to get a die up into that space to re-thread it, but it is held in place for years. Is that what you're referring to?
I was referring to your windshield wiper issue.

Quick Reply: XYZ switch replacement