Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

xyz switch ?what and where is it

Old 08-23-2013, 08:44 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xyz switch ?what and where is it

just curious as to what this switch is and where is it located. please educate me

Old 08-23-2013, 09:22 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is bolted to the drivers side of the transmission. The shift linkage connects to it and when you shift it sends the PNRD321 signal to the computer.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

It is on the left side of the transmission. As the shifter is moved, a cable moves the switch and various contacts make or break, telling the tranny computer what the driver has selected. The switch assembly can build up gunk inside from constant exposure to AC drains or wading. Can be taken apart, cleaned out, re-sealed. The RAVE shop manual has more info on this part.

Attached Thumbnails xyz switch ?what and where is it-xyz-photo.jpg  
Old 08-24-2013, 10:22 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by moorebl
just curious as to what this switch is and where is it located. please educate me
Are you having issues with your M & S lights flashing? Vehicle switching to limp mode? A Check Engine light or any OBDII codes?

If so, lots of things can cause these problems besides a malfunctioning switch.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

In particular - if M&S lights on, AND no CEL, that means tranny computer detected less than 9 volts. Time to check battery connections and good battery.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:39 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

Here's a picture of one I just sold on eBay. At least you'll know what you're looking for along the left side of the transmission body. It mounts to the same stud the shifter cable is attached to. It's held in place by the cable (and it's 13mm nut) as well as a couple of 10mm bolts. Should you need to replace it, the hardest thing, at least in my experience, is unplugging the the switch. Space is cramped but you can remove and reinstall an XYZ switch in under 30 minutes.

Land Rover Discovery Series II Transmission XYZ Switch 1999 00 01 02 03 04 | eBay

Old 08-24-2013, 09:26 PM
Three Wheeling

I have no check engine lights knock on wood after replacing the 2 front 02 sensors.. the battery is a walmart 660 cca battery. is that enough? my connections are great. and it doesn't do it all the time but once every other day. I will get those blinking lights and if I bring it back to park turn off/back on it will clear the issue. still battery? oh and is there a write up on how to clean the xyz switch and what to clean it with

Old 08-24-2013, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator

When they are blinking stop at an auto parts store for a free code read, and write down the numbers and post back. Don't think it is the battery if it is fairly new, and you have 13.8-14.4 volts across it at idle. Loose cables, and corroded cables both at the battery and where they tie to the frame can be issues. Some codes wait for two or four drive cycles before coming back. I believe you have use contact cleaner to clean out the switches. Don't know if yours will unbolt or need rivits drilled out.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:42 AM
Three Wheeling

Lights came back 0705 0441

Old 08-25-2013, 09:02 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I stand to be corrected but I believe:
P0705 Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Malfunction (PRNDL INPUT)
P0441: Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Flow

The PO705 is telling you that there is a malfunction in the circuit but does not necessarily mean that it is the switch as other things can cause the fault.

The second code, 0441 is unrelated to your transmission and could indicate a stuck or clogged evap purge valve.

The thing to remember is the codes just tell you the area effected and there can be lots of things that contribute or cause the problem that turns on the check engine light.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: xyz switch ?what and where is it