Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yanked the grease fitting on font driveshaft, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 10:06 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Yanked the grease fitting on font driveshaft, HELP!

Hey everyone,

I was trying to grease the front driveshaft kind of in the middle (lacking technical term) and I pulled out the grease fitting by mistake!!

I wasn't tending to the grease fittings on the yokes/u-joints or cardon joint, but the fitting in the middle where the CV joint is, I suppose? I'm not as well versed with the terminology and I apologize.

What can I do? I have a trip coming up this weekend that I'd love to take the Disco II out for!

Any and all help is always appreciated!

Old 06-07-2016, 10:11 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

If that grease fitting came out - just screw it back in.
that middle grease fitting on the front drive shaft is supposed to be removed unless you
are greasing it.
And a little bolt is put in there to protect the fill hole.
If you snapped it off you may be able to unscrew the base.
Take care not to damage the threads.
Just a normal grease fitting as I remember.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:56 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Unsure of which fitting position you referenced. Attempt to inspect treads, if good reinsert. If grease fitting rusted/corroded/bad get a new one and install. The inexpensive fittings have a tendency to cause issues more than internal shaft or the u-joint threads.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:25 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by number9
Unsure of which fitting position you referenced. Attempt to inspect treads, if good reinsert. If grease fitting rusted/corroded/bad get a new one and install. The inexpensive fittings have a tendency to cause issues more than internal shaft or the u-joint threads.
It seems that the threads are out for the count on the grease plug. I'm sitting at my indy shop to see if they have some lying around.

I want to get this bad boy in as soon as possible since last night it was making a bad chirp and clunk. Definitely didn't hit more than 10 mph on my drive home. Scared to drive it today.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:38 AM
Mudding

Any one know the part number of the grease fitting ?

Edit: silly question. Available everywhere practically.

Last edited by back9sunday; 06-08-2016 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

It's standard. You don't need the grease fitting on there, as others have said. In fact, you're supposed to have a small plug in there (a threaded plug you put in with an allen wrench). You can even just tape over it with electrical tape temporarily and it'll be fine. There's no need to worry about this.

Old 06-08-2016, 02:15 PM
Mudding

okay thanks for the reply. However I am worried about this. When I drive there is now a defined clunking and occasional chirp that wasn't there before. This is with or without the plug. And I only have had this drive shaft for 4 months!

It's not like a good greasing could make the driveshaft behave in this way, could it? I mean I thought the greasing would improve things, not make the dang thing sound like its on its last leg.

But it is as if the greasing from last night has had a profound effect on the drive shaft. Any theories as to what's going on?

Old 06-09-2016, 02:55 AM
Rock Crawling

Greasing itself won't make the shaft chirp. I suppose it could briefly unbalance the shaft a little, but that grease is going to quickly get rebalanced due to centrifugal force. I assume all three of the UJs in the shaft have grease nipples. Was the shaft new? Rebuilt?

Clunking and chirping could also be unrelated to the shaft. It could easily be something in the wheels.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:45 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by batard
Greasing itself won't make the shaft chirp. I suppose it could briefly unbalance the shaft a little, but that grease is going to quickly get rebalanced due to centrifugal force. I assume all three of the UJs in the shaft have grease nipples. Was the shaft new? Rebuilt?

Clunking and chirping could also be unrelated to the shaft. It could easily be something in the wheels.
I bought the driveshaft new, around 4 months ago. Nothing's loose down there, checked yesterday, everything looks great. I hit both the yokes and spline with some grease last night to no avail. Unfortunately no diff lock on my '02 so can drive it without front driveshaft. It's just sitting at my shop. But ordered a new driveshafts and should be here tomorrow.

Thinking of anything that I may have missed but I can think of anything.

Old 06-09-2016, 01:52 PM
Rock Crawling

Grinding and chirping at low speed doesn't shout front driveshaft to me, especially given that it's new and freshly greased. I'm not seeing anything saying you checked the wheels and other components of the drivetrain.

Good luck with the new driveshaft, though. I hope it solves your problem.