Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your thoughts and opinions on this Discovery article.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 11:42 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face Your thoughts and opinions on this Discovery article.

Just want Opinions as there is going to be a longer series of videos From Dust Runners Automotive Journal talking more in-depth about discoveries along with upgrading my personal disco along the way with in depth coverage of that whole process.

Here is the article A Look Into the Discovery II: The Last Solid Built Land Rover - Dust Runners Automotive Journal

Over the years I have found forums like these to be one of the best knowledge bases for any subject, so I'm asking what kinds of thing you guys would like to see in future updates and build videos

Old 01-05-2016, 11:52 PM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Looking for typos? "This not only gives the Land Rover its sport like stealing response, but also means..."
Guessing steering?

"dual claimant control up" - climate.

The bit about "…the torsion bars can be turned off at low speeds…" Is a bit misleading. Sure you could make this mod, but it's hardly standard.

Last edited by Fallstaff; 01-06-2016 at 12:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
kristoffersmith (01-06-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 12:09 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Fallstaff
Looking for typos? "This not only gives the Land Rover its sport like stealing response, but also means..."
Guessing steering?

The bit about "…the torsion bars can be turned off at low speeds…" Is a bit misleading. Sure you could make this mod, but it's hardly standard.
ha well there are plenty of those as its a page that was pre released because I needed some feed back from the community.

The torsion bars can be turned off. I don't remember if there is a predetermined cutoff point but the ace system has two accelerometers (one on top and other on bottom) to detect unwanted body roll and the ace computer compensates with the hydraulic ram actuated roll bar. When off road and going slow the system does not engage the ram and the roll bar can be moved freely.

Last edited by kristoffersmith; 01-06-2016 at 12:13 AM.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:25 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Sold instead of solid. But I'm sure you arnt after typos.

Article reads great. Although seems a bit 'fan boy'. Needs a few not so good parts to be a true balanced thing.

Not to dis the writing though. Great stuff.

Loved the vid. With the free running dude. Adds to the 'go anywhere' feel of it. Speed. Mud. Cool.

[/TipsHat]

Originally Posted by Fallstaff
Guessing steering?

Old 01-06-2016, 01:20 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

If you're the author as it seems edit your op to say so. You do know how to do that? Then learn how to somehow proofread prior to asking others on a forum to do it for you. Yes I'm a little critical of all the poorly written stuff read everyday.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:58 AM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Ah. ACE is not standard, but yes it does turn off automatically at low speeds.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:05 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by cappedup
Sold instead of solid. But I'm sure you arnt after typos.

Article reads great. Although seems a bit 'fan boy'. Needs a few not so good parts to be a true balanced thing.

Not to dis the writing though. Great stuff.

Loved the vid. With the free running dude. Adds to the 'go anywhere' feel of it. Speed. Mud. Cool.

[/TipsHat]
Thank you for the feed back. Im actually that guy in the video and there will be short film quality videos of rovers, parkour, drones, and tons of other cool stuff to come.

Old 01-06-2016, 06:33 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 965 Likes on 642 Posts

Reads pretty well to me, I like it. Maybe do expand on the issues it has just a little. Not much, just a little peek so it doesn't appear so fanboyish. Non-enthusiasts will be more keen on accepting what you're saying if you tell both sides if the story, or at least give them a little peek. Basic psychology 101.

Also, what's that front bumper? I love tubular bumpers.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:08 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

you forgot if you "dont throw the air coils out" you can adjust your approach and departure angles

Old 01-06-2016, 11:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by kristoffersmith
Thank you for the feed back. Im actually that guy in the video and there will be short film quality videos of rovers, parkour, drones, and tons of other cool stuff to come.
Great stuff. I work in Tv and reckon pictures (or videos) are far more powerful than words. You don't hear of many viral paragraphs.

Seeing Disco2's filmed with alternative methods and creativity will be very popular I think. I'd like to see some slight high speed footage (i.e. Slo mo). I sometimes shoot stuff at 90fps. Slowed to 30 it looks fantastic. Panasonic GH4.

I also developed a kite cam. Go-pro on a gimbal on a kite string. Bit hit and miss, but cheap aerial footage when the wind is right. Then there was helium balloon cam I did once for still days.

For true style shots. Night time, water reflections, angle grinder making a ton of sparks, slo mo. Love it.

Anyway. More power to your elbow, as someone once said.

Quick Reply: Your thoughts and opinions on this Discovery article.