Discovery Sport Talk about the new 2015 Land Rover Discovery Sport

No start, no codes

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2023, 03:22 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No start, no codes

Hi all. I flip cars as a hobby and an excuse to buy cars that I want. My latest project is a 2016 discovery sport, and it's got me a bit puzzled. It cranks, but does not fire and does not have any codes. It smells like it is getting fuel, I'm going to check for spark next. Just figured I'd see if this is a common problem that yall can point me to. I'll update this as I learn more.

Old 06-13-2023, 03:54 PM
6th Gear

update: no spark and fuses are good. so now to figure out what else could cause that. I also need to check the wire short of the coil next time a spare set of hands wanders through.

Old 06-14-2023, 08:42 AM
6th Gear

My Fiancee walked past and kindly helped me to check that there is indeed no power or signal coming to the coils. I had to leave for a few days so I wont be back at it for a bit, but I am curious if any of you have seen something like this before? I am thinking that there is a slight chance that it is a ground issue, it may also be a sensor that is inhibiting it from starting, but not throwing a code, or maybe the ECM is bad.
Does it sound like I am on the right track?

Old 06-21-2023, 09:28 AM
6th Gear

found it. At this point, it appears that the timing chain slipped off of one of the cams. I don't have the front cover off, so it may be broken but I was not able to pull it out.
Now the question is what should I be watching for while doing this job? I understand that there are some updated parts like guides and tensioners? Should I change anything else while I am in there? At this point I am planning to do the timing chain, oil pump chain, all tensioners and guides and the vvt actuators.
Also I am aware that this is an interference engine. At this point, I think I got insanely lucky. Only one set of valves are down, and only a little bit. So far, I can't see any signs of damage there. I am planning to get my bore scope to the car next week and will scope out all cylinders before I decide that they are ok.