Discovery Sport Talk about the new 2015 Land Rover Discovery Sport

Release the Parking Break and Neutral for towing

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 03:44 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Release the Parking Break and Neutral for towing

Hello,

I have Discovery Sport 2016, the Radiator decided drop all its fluid on way up my driveway on Yesterday. I live up on side of mountain about 600 meters above sea level and my driveway is about 12 degrees most of way up and pretty narrow and zig zags up the side of the mountain. It was one reasons I got Disco sport was so I could get up in and down in winter. We just had another meter of snow here today. My issue is, that in Summer a tow truck can get up to get the disco, but in the winter is different story, a truck would not be able to get up without risks of getting stuck or sliding into the barriers or even worse off the edge. So basically i can't get a tow truck driver up to the house right now. So i have a Pickup truck and also tractor with chains. So i want to tow it down to the road a bottom of my drive which the tow truck can get up to. The issue is how do I put the car into neutral without turning the engine on as it will over heat as it has no coolant and then tow it down the hill with truck or tractor?

I am really in situation where I need to get this repaired and don't know how to get down the mountain? I looked at manual and it says that "The recovery agent must activate the Transmission park release before recovery commences. This procedure is covered in a separate publication for service personnel. Failure to activate the Transmission park release can result in serious transmission damage." but that is crazy as I can't get it down to recovery agent? so how do i put my car in neutral without the engine being on?

Old 06-04-2021, 10:04 AM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sure hope this has been sorted out by now but for the record and if anyone else runs into similar problem there is a silver lever under the air filter box. Need to push and hold to the side in order to get to neutral. We had to chock it with a screw driver to keep in in open position. Hope this helps someone one day.