Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

5.3 LC9 engine / 6L80 trans.Discovery 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2021, 01:12 AM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 5.3 LC9 engine / 6L80 trans.Discovery 2

2001 Discovery. Soon starting on swapping drive train. 2013 LC9 5.3 engine &6L80 trans.

Just waiting to start.

Old one out soon.

LC9

6L80

Last edited by Techno; 01-15-2021 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-14-2021, 08:19 PM
Drifting
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This is the plan for my D1. How much did the engine/trans set you back?

Old 01-15-2021, 08:28 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by dos531
This is the plan for my D1. How much did the engine/trans set you back?
Not sure if ok to post $$$. Sent PM.

Old 05-19-2021, 06:21 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm looking to do the same swap (LC9 + 6L80). I'd love to hear more about your process! How did it go? Any key words of advice to share or critical parts you used? It would be amazing to seem some install pictures (above and below).

This will be my second LS swap so I'm familiar with the broad strokes but always prefer to follow in the footsteps of others.

Old 05-20-2021, 12:08 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by BoulderCharles
I'm looking to do the same swap (LC9 + 6L80). I'd love to hear more about your process! How did it go? Any key words of advice to share or critical parts you used? It would be amazing to seem some install pictures (above and below).

This will be my second LS swap so I'm familiar with the broad strokes but always prefer to follow in the footsteps of others.
Thanks, but I have yet to start the actual swap. It will be a while because I am busy with other things. I will post progress when I get a chance to work on it.

Old 09-13-2021, 10:11 PM
Three Wheeling

I have completed my LC9 swap and wanted to share a few things, just in case they are helpful.
  • I ran the Marks 4WD transfer case conversion. It is a good kit and everything fit well. I didn't need to trim the transmission output shaft (despite the instructions saying it was required...I simply measured before and realized it didn't need to be cut down).
  • The big downside for the Marks 4WD kit is that I was unable to fit the stock intake manifold. I just used a simple FiTech manifold and it worked great.
  • I used a Dirty Dingo bracket for the alternator and PS pump but had to modify the bracket to lower the alternator to clear the hood.
  • I actually swapped the air intake and battery location so I could re-use the Chevy intake.
Other than this I just ran into the typical LS swap issues. Good luck!

The following 3 users liked this post by BoulderCharles:
ckadventure (03-12-2022), Karmakannon (11-02-2022), Techno (09-13-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 10:30 PM
Drifting

I have completed my LC9 swap and wanted to share a few things, just in case they are helpful.
  • I ran the Marks 4WD transfer case conversion. It is a good kit and everything fit well. I didn't need to trim the transmission output shaft (despite the instructions saying it was required...I simply measured before and realized it didn't need to be cut down).
  • The big downside for the Marks 4WD kit is that I was unable to fit the stock intake manifold. I just used a simple FiTech manifold and it worked great.
  • I used a Dirty Dingo bracket for the alternator and PS pump but had to modify the bracket to lower the alternator to clear the hood.
  • I actually swapped the air intake and battery location so I could re-use the Chevy intake.
Other than this I just ran into the typical LS swap issues. Good luck!
Thanks for your info, Do you Have a thread of your project progress? I went with rw eng tcase adapter, It will be a while before I can start on my swap. I will figure out what I need to do for canbus but I plan on using Arduino stuff. I also plan on using ls factory location for a/c compressor, and move alt. to passer side.

Thanks Again.

Old 09-14-2021, 10:24 AM
Three Wheeling

I didn't document my build in a threat but I'm happy to answer questions (and a picture below).

I'm working with Nick at RW Engineering for the CAN-bus gateway. It's a great solution but we are still sorting out a few things that are likely specific to the 2004 D2. Doing the diagnostics, programming, and troubleshooting to recreate that gateway will be a lot of work (and the Rover documentation sucks for really complex work). I recommend doing the diagnostics to figure out the right signals for the Rover's gauges/sensors before committing to the DIY approach. Nick suggested that getting some of those gauges to work was a real pain. That said, I'm not a programmer so it all seems difficult to me.

Are you keeping DoD and VVT? I swapped to Summit's stage 1 cam to get rid of that stuff.

The following 2 users liked this post by BoulderCharles:
ckadventure (03-12-2022), Techno (09-14-2021)
Old 09-14-2021, 10:26 AM
Three Wheeling

Also, while you are at it you may consider moving the radiator forward a bit. It's real tight and makes it harder to fit the intake piping. I had to use the flexible piping, squish it into a bit of an oval, and then tie it into the cover to keep it from the accessory belt.

The following 2 users liked this post by BoulderCharles:
Karmakannon (11-02-2022), Techno (09-14-2021)
Old 09-14-2021, 07:13 PM
Drifting

I didn't document my build in a threat but I'm happy to answer questions (and a picture below).

I'm working with Nick at RW Engineering for the CAN-bus gateway. It's a great solution but we are still sorting out a few things that are likely specific to the 2004 D2. Doing the diagnostics, programming, and troubleshooting to recreate that gateway will be a lot of work (and the Rover documentation sucks for really complex work). I recommend doing the diagnostics to figure out the right signals for the Rover's gauges/sensors before committing to the DIY approach. Nick suggested that getting some of those gauges to work was a real pain. That said, I'm not a programmer so it all seems difficult to me.

Are you keeping DoD and VVT? I swapped to Summit's stage 1 cam to get rid of that stuff.

that looks very clean. one of the best looking swaps I have seen on D2! i like that it looks almost stock and the a/c and alt. don't stick out like a sore thumb.

Quick Reply: 5.3 LC9 engine / 6L80 trans.Discovery 2