Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

5.3 LC9 engine / 6L80 trans.Discovery 2

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2021, 09:20 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks! I tried hard to make it look stock.

Old 09-25-2021, 11:04 AM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BoulderCharles
Thanks! I tried hard to make it look stock.
I just watched this video!

The following users liked this post:
ckadventure (03-12-2022)
Old 09-25-2021, 02:02 PM
Three Wheeling

That is mine. I was wondering if it would make it around the LR community.

Old 09-25-2021, 09:25 PM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

looks great.. I like the lift on it. I will probably do the same size. you should do your own video and go over your d2. there seemed to be more to show.

ckadventure (03-12-2022)
Old 09-27-2021, 03:14 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks! I've definitely considered a more in-depth video and will probably put it together in the next month or so. For now, I just want to spend time on the trails!

I really like the 4" lift with 33s for the trails but, honestly, it's a bit too high for a daily driver. Maybe even put the truck on jack stands 6" taller (4" lift + 2" more from tires) and see how it feels to get in and out.

Old 09-27-2021, 05:28 PM
Mudding
Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

I have completed my LC9 swap and wanted to share a few things, just in case they are helpful.
  • I ran the Marks 4WD transfer case conversion. It is a good kit and everything fit well. I didn't need to trim the transmission output shaft (despite the instructions saying it was required...I simply measured before and realized it didn't need to be cut down).
  • The big downside for the Marks 4WD kit is that I was unable to fit the stock intake manifold. I just used a simple FiTech manifold and it worked great.
  • I used a Dirty Dingo bracket for the alternator and PS pump but had to modify the bracket to lower the alternator to clear the hood.
  • I actually swapped the air intake and battery location so I could re-use the Chevy intake.
Other than this I just ran into the typical LS swap issues. Good luck!
Just watched the TFL video the other day. You did a great job on that thing. Can you get an extensive parts list up for the swap for us? Thanks!

Old 09-28-2021, 02:08 AM
Drifting
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Also caught that video recently. Looks fantastic!

Old 12-23-2021, 10:34 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 140 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Making it all work electrically question

I didn't document my build in a threat but I'm happy to answer questions (and a picture below).

I'm working with Nick at RW Engineering for the CAN-bus gateway. It's a great solution but we are still sorting out a few things that are likely specific to the 2004 D2. Doing the diagnostics, programming, and troubleshooting to recreate that gateway will be a lot of work (and the Rover documentation sucks for really complex work). I recommend doing the diagnostics to figure out the right signals for the Rover's gauges/sensors before committing to the DIY approach. Nick suggested that getting some of those gauges to work was a real pain. That said, I'm not a programmer so it all seems difficult to me.

Are you keeping DoD and VVT? I swapped to Summit's stage 1 cam to get rid of that stuff.

So I consider this option to be the holy grail in D2 drivetrain improvement and have been stalking this since watching the video with Charles truck. Nice work btw. My question is around making it work electrically. I get the mechanical install but when it comes to hooking it up and making it work things gets fuzzy. So my question is -
When the RW engineering CAN-bus is used, is there a road map as to how to hook it up? Instructions? Or is that up to the buyer to figure out? Examples would be connecting green wire to yellow wire, red wire to purple wire or this connector splices in at xx location and yy location. That type of guidance. Thanks in advance.

ckadventure (03-12-2022)
Old 12-23-2021, 11:08 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the kind words. The electrical is a HUGE challenge. I wouldn't be surprised if I have spent just as many hours on electrical elements as drivetrain elements. You need to be very comfortable discerning the factory wiring manuals, which are often ambiguous or just plain wrong, and diagnosing electrical issues. Also, at this point, I can't recommend RW-Engineering anymore. I'll post a more complete review in a bit with details on my experience and the solution I had to develop.

The following 2 users liked this post by BoulderCharles:
ckadventure (03-12-2022), Techno (12-23-2021)
Old 12-23-2021, 11:59 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 184 Likes on 117 Posts

Thanks for the kind words. The electrical is a HUGE challenge. I wouldn't be surprised if I have spent just as many hours on electrical elements as drivetrain elements. You need to be very comfortable discerning the factory wiring manuals, which are often ambiguous or just plain wrong, and diagnosing electrical issues. Also, at this point, I can't recommend RW-Engineering anymore. I'll post a more complete review in a bit with details on my experience and the solution I had to develop.
I'd suggest reaching out to Todd at Alternative Conversion Engineering if you need help. He has a running Gen 5 L83 with 6L80 transmission build that he is finishing up as well.

Quick Reply: 5.3 LC9 engine / 6L80 trans.Discovery 2