Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

Discovery 2 LS Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2022, 08:27 PM
Mudding
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Karmakannon
Yes the rover crank sensor is plugged in. I suppose the next step is tracing the wires back and making sure they look good for that too. Everything else I've checked seems to be how it needs to be.

Yeah I was thinking about using the 12v+ signal from the gm pcm to switch a ground on a relay, but obviously that's a last resort.
Adding some interesting info... I cranked it yesterday and ran it today with the jumped fuel pump relay and the tach works. It surged like crazy until I remembered to plug the iac back in haha.

I ordered a new crank position sensor, but since I have tach signal I may have just ruled that out. Any ideas?

Old 07-19-2022, 08:28 AM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What amount of lift is required for the ACE kit? I have the heavy duty ome shocks and springs installed, giving a 2" lift. Will that be sufficient? I believe ACE recommends 3" of lift. Will I need to get a 1" lift spacer, or will it just be a tight fit as is? I will be using the low profile oil pan in the recommended parts list.

Old 07-19-2022, 08:46 AM
Mudding
Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by danyboyGA
What amount of lift is required for the ACE kit? I have the heavy duty ome shocks and springs installed, giving a 2" lift. Will that be sufficient? I believe ACE recommends 3" of lift. Will I need to get a 1" lift spacer, or will it just be a tight fit as is? I will be using the low profile oil pan in the recommended parts list.
I don't know minimum but I can say that I have OME HD springs with 1 inch lift spacer. I went to Rausch Creek offroad park with my front sway disconnected. Had zero issues.

The following 2 users liked this post by Boostle:
danyboyGA (08-08-2022), Elderair (07-21-2022)
Old 07-19-2022, 08:51 AM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Lift required for ACE LS conversion

I just installed the Terra Firma 3" HD lift on mine and added a 2" x 3" piece of box channel to the axle stop pad. Hit a pot hole hard a few days ago and it put a dent in my box channel so I'm guessing it would've destroyed my low profile pan That I had installed as recommended by the kit. Let me add that the box channel was only 1/16" thick which was wishful thinking on my part and I will add a center vertical or a piece of angle down the middle to keep that from happening again.

Last edited by Elderair; 07-21-2022 at 07:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
danyboyGA (08-08-2022)
Old 07-19-2022, 09:05 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Elderair
I just installed the Terra Firma 3" HD lift on mine and added a 2" x 3" piece of box channel to the axle stop pad. Hit a pot hole hard a few days ago and it put a dent in my box channel so I'm guessing it would've destroyed my low profile pan That I had installed as recommended by the kit.
Geezus, how big was that pothole?

Old 07-19-2022, 10:09 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Boostle
Geezus, how big was that pothole?
well, I'm in Missouri so.....BIG! Lmao!

Old 07-20-2022, 08:11 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Ive had my swap for 1.5 years now with a TF HD 3" lift with 35's ... the TF springs start sagging quickly and I had same problem.... I upgraded to RTE full 4.5 lift and it is a different creature now... the rte lift is the way to go even with 33"s

The following 2 users liked this post by rynoman1:
danyboyGA (08-08-2022), Elderair (07-21-2022)
Old 07-20-2022, 11:23 AM
Drifting
Default Rte lift

Yep, the TF lift was a quick way to get out of spending money to get cranked radius arms and more time consuming lift basically to see if I was going to like the swap. I can definitely see a better lift complete with driveshafts and radius arms in the not so distant future. I am digging the beast and have only to fix intermittent flashing M&S light issue but am working with ACE to bring that under control. My iCarsoft i930 says it can't connect to the transmission computer and I bought it specifically for reading abs and transmission codes!!!

Old 07-23-2022, 06:08 AM
Mudding

My swap is cammed and I'm having a small issue when I turn on my a/c the idle dips to the point that it sometimes wants to stall. I've messed with adding timing below idle rpm and it helped a lot but I'm looking to perfect it.

Has anyone figure out how to send a signal to the gm PCM so that it knows when the AC is turned on so it can compensate via tables?

Is it as easy as sending a ground signal to pin 17 of red connector of gm pcm? Anyone have the pin out of the ac switch on the land Rover side?

Thanks!

Old 07-23-2022, 07:38 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Boostle
My swap is cammed and I'm having a small issue when I turn on my a/c the idle dips to the point that it sometimes wants to stall. I've messed with adding timing below idle rpm and it helped a lot but I'm looking to perfect it.

Has anyone figure out how to send a signal to the gm PCM so that it knows when the AC is turned on so it can compensate via tables?

Is it as easy as sending a ground signal to pin 17 of red connector of gm pcm? Anyone have the pin out of the ac switch on the land Rover side?

Thanks!
I have. It's not the most straightforward setup. It depends what your GM ECM came out of the factory with (which A/C system, the varied in cars, trucks, SUVs). So you may have to change settings in the ECM or do a segment swap (hopefully not).

The signals between the GM ECM and Rover ECU are backwards, so electronics is required for signal switchover. I can PM you a diagram later when I get home.

Quick Reply: Discovery 2 LS Conversion