Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

Discovery 2 LS Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 03:51 PM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by ACEngineer
Thanks for the recommendation on the fans CollieRover. Between your pictures and some rough measurements, it looks like that would provide enough space to do a 90 degree turn for the intake. One nice thing about the LS ECM is that it has programmable provisions already in place for two fans, which you can set to your preferred temps for turning on and off using HP Tuners or other software. I have been looking at getting a custom all-aluminum radiator for this setup and for off-road builds, but it'll have to wait until later.
Cool! You may not have to go further than a GTO all aluminum Radiator modded to fit the A/C Condenser bracket, and the two bottom mounting plugs. You’d be able to mount the plastic GTO fan shroud/fans which are all available separately new or from yards.

I have mine mounted to fit my Nissen’s radiator, and it works surprisingly well, but it ain’t perfect. A radiator built for that shroud would be great if made to fit.

and if the ECM has the capability no need for the Ron Francis controller. Sweet set up if done.

Last edited by CollieRover; 01-09-2019 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:05 PM
Mudding
Received 221 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by CollieRover

Cool! You may not have to go further than a GTO all aluminum Radiator modded to fit the A/C Condenser bracket, and the two bottom mounting plugs. You’d be able to mount the plastic GTO fan shroud/fans which are all available separately new or from yards.

I have mine mounted to fit my Nissans radiator, and it works surprisingly well, but it ain’t perfect. A radiator built for that shroud would be great if made to fit.

and if the ECM has the capability no need for the Ron Francis controller. Sweet set up if done.
I'll have to look into it more. Only problem I see with the GTO radiator is that it looks like the inlet/outlet is on reversed sides from the Discovery radiator, which would mean more funky hoses. Although having the shroud fit perfect without modification would be a plus. I would like to get it so both the inlet and outlet were on the passenger side of the radiator to minimize hose length.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by ACEngineer
I'll have to look into it more. Only problem I see with the GTO radiator is that it looks like the inlet/outlet is on reversed sides from the Discovery radiator, which would mean more funky hoses. Although having the shroud fit perfect without modification would be a plus. I would like to get it so both the inlet and outlet were on the passenger side of the radiator to minimize hose length.
With that much modification I suppose you’ll have more options, but through my research looking at shrouds online, that is the closest I found. But a plastic shroud that snaps/attaches in place would be ideal for HD use.

Old 01-12-2019, 02:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

The disco arrived last week He has been named "Diego". Engine is shot so he is ready for the Vortec swap. Will be submitting the google doc today, Ace.

Old 01-12-2019, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by losinov
The disco arrived last week He has been named "Diego". Engine is shot so he is ready for the Vortec swap. Will be submitting the google doc today, Ace.

Muy guapo.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:24 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 257 Likes on 214 Posts

Yo soy el diego

The following users liked this post:
carter2042 (10-10-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 05:26 PM
Mudding
Received 221 Likes on 80 Posts

That looks like a really nice one!

Old 01-12-2019, 06:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 246 Likes on 198 Posts

dang. i want a white discovery. they look so nice.

The following users liked this post:
04disco2va (10-27-2022)
Old 01-12-2019, 06:47 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 257 Likes on 214 Posts

The question is.. is it an Oreo?

Old 01-12-2019, 06:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Saturnine
The question is.. is it an Oreo?
It sure is! White outside black on the inside.
Ace, you should have a google form from me. To clarify, i'm okay using either the Rover or GM accessories. I think at this point i'd prefer whatever gives me the least headache when doing the actual swap.

Found this really nice guide on the gen3 vortec engines. -5.3L - LM4, LM7, L33, L59 ? BD Turnkey Engines LLC
Does anyone have a table of all the engine weights by chance? I'm leaning towards the iron 5.3l but would also consider the lighter L33 even though it's a bit more expensive.

Quick Reply: Discovery 2 LS Conversion