Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

Here We Go Again, My LSX Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 12:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by banarcus
The Disco 2 runs a motronic spec cam sprocket with weird slots at strange spaces so that the engine management knows the cam's position. I thought about running a sbc with the motronic and having the motronic reflashed by a bloke in the UK. The cam positioning sensor and its placement, as well as the cost of having the motronic reflashed overseas was the killer for me.

I'm told that a company here in Australia has attempted this conversion but couldn't live with the 3 amigos and other bells and whistles going off.

My theory, after reading the rave pdf back to front is keep the motronic and feed vital signals to it so that, at the very least, will keep everything else in the truck happy. You will need a tacho and temp gauge. These are fed by the motronic. You may be able to simply feed and altered signal from your GM PCM for your tacho with hp tuners or whatever you're using. The LR spec temp sensor can be plumbed on the LS.

You're going to need to change your BCM transmission settings to make your truck a manual so you wont have the gear readout on your cluster. You will lose HDC and the LR traction control for off road traction too.
An engine I've thought would be a better fit for a D2 is a 5.0 Ford. They have a distributor which could be gutted and reworked to trigger the cam sensor. The block dimensions are smaller than a Chevy small block and they make plenty of power. Plus with their displacement, the Rover injectors will probably be sufficient. Not to highjack this thread just trying to give some hope to D2 owners that are not skilled as Shade Tree!

Old 02-04-2014, 01:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sir, I am humbled by your assessment of my feeble attempt at this LS conversion. I thank you for your compliment, but my reputation might be best served to reserve judgment until the finished product. I am confident at this point that I can use this truck in its converted form, however, others may feel that the loss of some of the features are too great a trade off in return for an upgraded drivetrain. (At least I think it is an upgrade)

1. HDC will be gone
2. Locking Diff gone (Some TC's will be lockable, but most are not AWD)
3.Gear position readout on cluster gone (Available as an add on from Dakota Digital)
4. External Bypass Thermostat gone (GM LS motors use an internal bypass design)
5. Misc. functions related to speed on the AC and radio will also be gone.
6. Other functions yet TBD gone.

One of the previous posters mentioned Traction Control.
From my limited reading in the Rave, it appears that the Traction Control is almost completely controlled by the Slabs, and uses the wheel speed sensors as it guide. I am optimistic at this point that it will still function, but I could be completely wrong. The M and S lights are flashing, so that is probably not a good sign.

Thanks for the continued moral support, I definitely need it on this project!

Old 02-04-2014, 02:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

The M and S lights are related to your transmission (Manual and Sport) so seeing as how you threw away the OEM tranny they should be flashing. But I'm sure you have something in your toolbox that can dispatch with them!

Old 02-04-2014, 02:36 PM
Rock Crawling

Just need to cut the right wire(s), and problem solved.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:42 PM
Rock Crawling

Forgot to mention,
7. Cats are gone on my setup (not a problem to install if you get tested)

Old 02-05-2014, 03:38 AM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking forward to the next update ST. Got it started up yet?

Old 02-05-2014, 09:19 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 246 Likes on 231 Posts

Just read all 95 posts and now subscribing. What a project!

Old 02-16-2014, 07:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Default Yet another update!

Got the engine running.
Transfer case installed.
Got a lot of the wires cleaned up and installed some modified plastic beauty covers.
Can't drive it yet, still waiting on new drive shafts. I also built a semi-permanent set of buttons to attempt to control the electronic transfer without a computer.
I found an exploded diagram of the transfer case, and it appears the pickup tube for the oil pump is at the far edge of the case rather than at the bottom. (Which is now the top) So, hopefully the tube will be submerged enough to work ok. I also changed the oil and put back in about a half quart extra.
I found a well used front drive shaft on flea-bay that has the proper 17 spline slip yoke for this TC. Still have to drop it off at the drive line shop.

I also would like to throw out a few problems I have yet to solve, and see if anyone has some suggestions.

1. Removed the entire transmission computer and STILL have blinking M & S lights. According to the RAVE diagram the wires go straight from the computer to the cluster, so you would assume... no computer.... no flashing lights. A strip of black tape may be the final solution.

2. Coolant warning red light is on also on. Maybe more black tape.

3. I have recurring P0171 and P0174 codes. I can clean the MAF and it takes about 45 min of run time and they come back. I haven't found any vacuum leaks yet, but I would think a vacuum leak would set the codes quicker. Bad MAF maybe?

4. Now for the big problem, the Air Conditioning system is hung in AUTO mode and the fan will only run on MAX speed. The other controls seem to work ok. The fan runs on MAX if the system is on, it never cuts off even when set temp is reached. The system will not go into manual mode, only AUTO.

Some new pictures attached. Still need to make a center beauty panel for the top of the intake.
Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

Attached Thumbnails Here We Go Again, My LSX Swap Thread-5.3-engine-bay-1-.jpg   Here We Go Again, My LSX Swap Thread-5.3-engine-bay-2-.jpg   Here We Go Again, My LSX Swap Thread-5.3-engine-bay-3-.jpg  
Old 02-16-2014, 07:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

You are a madman.

I have no suggestions, just enthusiasm.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Default Update

Good news! Problem (4.) mentioned above solved. Turns out, the wire I had connected to for the GM AC request signal, was causing the fan speed to go crazy. I need to find another connection point and I believe all will be well with the climate control.

Still haven't found a vacuum leak in the intake that would cause the Lean Codes. I suppose it's possible that the fuel pressure is dropping too much at higher RPM, but that seems unlikely. I'll check the pressure again.

No driveshaft yet, I guess quality work takes time. Going on 3 weeks now.
The builder had to special order an 1-5/8" GM slip yoke and some 1310 four hole flange adapters.

Quick Reply: Here We Go Again, My LSX Swap Thread