Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

Here We Go Again, My LSX Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 08:56 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sometimes I really hate the internet.

I apologize for sounding anything less than complimentary, I enjoy reading threads about people doing stuff that is so challenging. My intent was simply saying "here's what I found in my struggles." Not a criticism of the work you're doing.

good luck with your build.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperBuickGuy

I apologize for sounding anything less than complimentary, I enjoy reading threads about people doing stuff that is so challenging. My intent was simply saying "here's what I found in my struggles." Not a criticism of the work you're doing.

Hats off to Shadtree, but for the rest of us who can't create our own harnesses and tune the ECUs, this is a great one for the rolodex...thanks for the POC!

Old 01-31-2014, 01:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by banarcus
Good work shade tree. This is something that I've wanted to do for a couple of years now. Way too people that say this and that cant be done until someone like yourself has a go.

Did you ever think about a 6L80E and adapting the LR transfer case to it? Plenty of room for the front driveshaft and you get 6 gears however you need the GM E38 PCM to make everything run.

I'll see if I can get some photos of a L98 Gen 4 6.0L in a RRC.

I did not give the 6L80E too much consideration, I think it comes from much newer vehicles and a bigger price tag.
Honestly, If I thought it through as much as I should have, I probably would have talked myself out of doing it.

Thanks for the kind words, I also heard it said more than once that it was not economically practical of even possible to make the truck work similar to it's original capabilities.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:18 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by SuperBuickGuy

I had no thoughts at all that your post was anything but supportive. We are all grown men (and women) here, I have got my big-boy pants on, this is not a project for the timid.
The real truth is I posted all that info about my qualifications (or lack of) just so you guys would know I am serious about this deal. I'm sure there are millions of people on this earth that could do a better job of this swap than me, however, I got tired of waiting on them to show us the proper way and document it in a place that it could be enjoyed by all.
I will gladly welcome suggestions and criticism that further the conversation and go towards the ultimate goal of giving many of you an affordable option when it comes time for a replacement drivetrain.

Please join me in looking forward to the completion of this project.
I'm sure an in depth write up of my trials and tribulations will no doubt help many of you to make your own decision to go ahead with your own personal vision of what this swap should be. That is the beauty of building your own car, it is yours and it has the features you want it to have.

I feel a little like I am plowing some new ground here, I just hope I don't fall off the tractor.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:09 PM
Drifting

I understand, I post up here about diesels and a few seem to think I'm an idiot... no worries though, I have better proof of my lunacy
CTS Spider

Sar h3

1975 Plastic fantastic aka Corvette

SBG's Special Buick Sledanette

and of course, the Disco II and another 4x4 truck - keep in mind, these are the ones I'm dealing with now - there's lots more before it.

I'm still a bit concerned about the transfer case being upside down. There's an oil pump in them that is high and dry in that position...

Old 01-31-2014, 04:48 PM
Rock Crawling

Good to know about the oil pump, this could be a serious malfunction.
Maybe a pickup tube relocation will keep it happy until I can happen on the right one.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:47 PM
Drifting

that's actually a pretty easy case to find - and cheap since no one seems to think they're very robust... around here they're in the $100 range for a good working one (NP 208, chevy/dodge, turbo 350 or 700r4) - shop long enough, and you'll probably find someone who's giving it away to get it out of his shop; his story will be "I bought it because I thought the one in my truck would blow up, it didn't"

Old 02-01-2014, 09:13 AM
Mudding
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Old 02-03-2014, 01:20 PM
Rock Crawling

I see it now. It is in a Defender, a different animal than a DII. I am also using a 4L60E... different output shaft and bolt pattern than his adapter. I think the LT230 also hits the side of the 4L60E when mated together. The necessary clocking that would occur makes the driveline angle too steep.

Having said that, a much newer LSX combo might work with his adapter in a Discovery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G

Any sort of luck getting these to be OBD2 compliant, IE not throwing a code in my D2?

You had to open that can of worms.

While this fits in the D1, Defender, and Classic, the wiring in the D2 is more of a challenge. The D2 has a BCM like the P38's BECM. (Body Control Module) I need to sit down and work out the minimal interfacing required.

As far as OBDII, this uses the GM ECU and TCU with its' own OBDII connector. Easy for the Defender as the 14CUX/GEMS is removed with modularity.
I am not sure if I will have to interface the CAN busses between the D2 BCM and GM ECU yet. But that can be done with a programmable CAN bus router. Not ready to go there just yet.

Regarding throwing codes. You can disable what you don't need in the GM ECU/TCU.
We are still working out the CARB issues of the "engine change" in California. Although, I am using
Magnaflow 50 state legal cats. You guys will be the first to know when I get it past the DMV referee.
End of quote.

Last edited by Shade Tree; 02-03-2014 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:51 PM
Rock Crawling

I'm not done yet. Very close to getting the beast cranked, or at least an attempt at it. Still have an unanswered question about the fuel pump pressure. The LR pump may come up short on pressure output to satisfy the GM motor. If this is the case I will entertain your suggestions.
1. Replace with GM pump and internal regulator.
2. Run a return line all the way back to the tank using an inline booster and the GM fuel rail regulator.
3. Disable the LR in tank regulator, run a return line and use the GM fuel rail regulator.
4. Use the Corvette fuel filter/regulator at the rear and run a short return line.

Exhaust is finished, my next step is to flash the computer and see if it will start and run. Still waiting on parts for the front and rear driveshafts.

I also have lost some sleep over the Transfer case being mounted upside down. From the research I have done, it seems some models will work fine upside down and others have an internal main shaft driven oil pump which may or may not be affected by a 180 shift. I have yet been unable to determine if my electronic TC has an oil pump. Also, as a side note, I never saw any report of a failure caused by running a unit upside down.

Quick Reply: Here We Go Again, My LSX Swap Thread