Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

Here We Go Again, My LSX Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 03:19 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you should be able to start it as long as the D2's fuel pressure is greater than 35 psi (they require 45-48 psi, but they will run - not well - at lower psi).

for a long term, I'd adapt the tank to use the drop-in LS unit. Just a guess from looking at my tank, I'd say the GM truck fuel pickup/pump would be pretty close (depthwise) to the Disco. if it is right, it's just a matter of making the ring attach. One of those strange things - most vehicles use a similar pump/fuel level sender locking system.... maybe you'll get lucky and they're either close or the same?

As for welding on a gas tank - it can be done, just rinse, then be smart when you do it. Last time, I used up a 125 bottle of argon purging the tank so I could weld on it.... a bit of an over kill, but if you displace the oxygen with an inert gas - you can weld all day long on it to put a new pickup in.

Old 02-03-2014, 03:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The DII claims to be regulated to 50 psi. All my other LS motors specified 55psi as the required fuel pressure. If your saying they run ok without throwing codes at less than 40, all should be fine. Your right about long term, if the LR pump goes kaput, I doubt I would replace it with a stock unit.
This 5.3 L truck motor I have uses a intake mounted regulator and a return line system. I have disabled the regulator and blocked off the return in hopes of using the LR fuel system as is. (In tank regulator and no return)

Old 02-03-2014, 04:04 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Shade Tree
I see it now. It is in a Defender, a different animal than a DII. I am also using a 4L60E... different output shaft and bolt pattern than his adapter. I think the LT230 also hits the side of the 4L60E when mated together. The necessary clocking that would occur makes the driveline angle too steep.

Having said that, a much newer LSX combo might work with his adapter in a Discovery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G

Any sort of luck getting these to be OBD2 compliant, IE not throwing a code in my D2?

You had to open that can of worms.

While this fits in the D1, Defender, and Classic, the wiring in the D2 is more of a challenge. The D2 has a BCM like the P38's BECM. (Body Control Module) I need to sit down and work out the minimal interfacing required.

As far as OBDII, this uses the GM ECU and TCU with its' own OBDII connector. Easy for the Defender as the 14CUX/GEMS is removed with modularity.
I am not sure if I will have to interface the CAN busses between the D2 BCM and GM ECU yet. But that can be done with a programmable CAN bus router. Not ready to go there just yet.

Regarding throwing codes. You can disable what you don't need in the GM ECU/TCU.
We are still working out the CARB issues of the "engine change" in California. Although, I am using
Magnaflow 50 state legal cats. You guys will be the first to know when I get it past the DMV referee.
End of quote.
I see you found my question to him

I am interested in any way to get a non-rover powerplant in my truck while remaining obd-2 compliant.

Old 02-03-2014, 06:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

What you are doing is pretty amazing, but trying to get a driveline managed by 2 ecu's through emissions inspection will be tough. I hope it goes well for you.

On that same topic, has anyone heard of a successful use of the LR engine management on a different motor? The basic system seems to be pretty good to me. Obviously it won't work with a variable valve timing engine, but it should run a typical V-8. The LR4 (Vortec 4800) engine is about the same displacement. Could that be made to run using the Bosch management and injectors? Could it be set up so that the ecu (and the RMV) has no idea that it's not controlling the stock motor?

Old 02-03-2014, 07:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Wouldn't the Vortec 4800 rip the DII tranny to shreads?

Old 02-03-2014, 07:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

That's a tiny motor - only 4.8 liters. But I'm not sure if was only made for front wheel drive cars.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:28 AM
4wd High

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
What you are doing is pretty amazing, but trying to get a driveline managed by 2 ecu's through emissions inspection will be tough. I hope it goes well for you.

On that same topic, has anyone heard of a successful use of the LR engine management on a different motor? The basic system seems to be pretty good to me. Obviously it won't work with a variable valve timing engine, but it should run a typical V-8. The LR4 (Vortec 4800) engine is about the same displacement. Could that be made to run using the Bosch management and injectors? Could it be set up so that the ecu (and the RMV) has no idea that it's not controlling the stock motor?
The Disco 2 runs a motronic spec cam sprocket with weird slots at strange spaces so that the engine management knows the cam's position. I thought about running a sbc with the motronic and having the motronic reflashed by a bloke in the UK. The cam positioning sensor and its placement, as well as the cost of having the motronic reflashed overseas was the killer for me.

I'm told that a company here in Australia has attempted this conversion but couldn't live with the 3 amigos and other bells and whistles going off.

My theory, after reading the rave pdf back to front is keep the motronic and feed vital signals to it so that, at the very least, will keep everything else in the truck happy. You will need a tacho and temp gauge. These are fed by the motronic. You may be able to simply feed and altered signal from your GM PCM for your tacho with hp tuners or whatever you're using. The LR spec temp sensor can be plumbed on the LS.

You're going to need to change your BCM transmission settings to make your truck a manual so you wont have the gear readout on your cluster. You will lose HDC and the LR traction control for off road traction too.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:02 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by 04duxlr

No emission inspection here in Alabama. We have way too many old farm trucks running around busy growing the food the ROW eats while your hunkered down waiting for the snow to melt.

No cats on this one.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:42 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Shade Tree
The DII claims to be regulated to 50 psi. All my other LS motors specified 55psi as the required fuel pressure. If your saying they run ok without throwing codes at less than 40, all should be fine. Your right about long term, if the LR pump goes kaput, I doubt I would replace it with a stock unit.
This 5.3 L truck motor I have uses a intake mounted regulator and a return line system. I have disabled the regulator and blocked off the return in hopes of using the LR fuel system as is. (In tank regulator and no return)
I didn't say it wouldn't throw codes, I said it'd run. Most of the people I know (and me included) run at 48 psi. Lower than 55 psi (I'm not sure that's right) won't throw codes because the injectors will be able to flow enough fuel to allow it to run right. There isn't a pressure sensor in the fuel system.

Higher pressure = more volume. A lot of people run higher pressure to get more fuel for things like turbos - it saves them having to buy new injectors when they need a greater flow of fuel.

With that said, if you deadhead the system (no return line), you won't be able to control the fuel pressure - and your pump won't last long, it will overheat.

I know what you're going to say - you can put the pressure regulator before the fuel rails. The problem with doing that is it reduces fuel flow because, even at fully open, it's a restriction. You could use a controller to adjust for the fuel pressure, but those are really expensive, and completely unnecessary when the solution is a fitting into the fuel tank to allow the fuel to go back

Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; 02-04-2014 at 08:44 AM.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:11 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by SuperBuickGuy

With that said, if you deadhead the system (no return line), you won't be able to control the fuel pressure - and your pump won't last long, it will overheat.

If I read and understand the Rave correctly, the LR has a bypass regulator built into the fuel pump module. It has no return line. Many GM LS motors are equipped with the same type internal regulator and no return line. I have not done enough research to understand why GM does it differently on the truck motors, I.E. with a return line.

Quick Reply: Here We Go Again, My LSX Swap Thread