Forum Help & Suggestion Center This section is NOT for vehicle technical questions. This section is for problems or suggestions for the forum itself.

Help range rover p38

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 08:11 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help range rover p38

I'm new and trying to figure out how to post my questions in the right places. I have a 1999 4.6 hse Range rover. Its winter here and when my wheels spin on the ice my brakes lock up and cause me to slide. this also happens if I hit a hard bump in the road. my abs and traction control light come on when its locked and sliding and then go out after the brakes come loose or i stop. I know that my traction control should apply the brakes to a spinning wheel, but this is just dangerous and causes me to slide out of control??? not fun with a new baby any day now. any help or direction would be appreciated

Last edited by Kaption; 02-15-2014 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:09 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Sounds like the abs and tc are working correctly but your tires aren't. It's pretty unnerving to feel your car get loose after the computer kicks in to "help." What type of tires do you have? Even with all wheel drive, you need good tires in snow and ice. I had Nitto Terra Grapplers on my 99 RR and it was fantastic in the snow.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:06 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the quick reply. my tires are Yokohama AVID ENVIGO they are an all season brand new this year. definitely not a winter tire, but i also had this issue happen in the summer. While applying the brakes going over a speed bump, and another time slowing to a stop and it being very bumpy pavement. the brakes would grab and cause me to skid, till I pushed the peddle to release it or skidded to a stop. I took it in and had new rear brake lines put on and a brake inspection and was told that pads and rotors were fine. I'm skeptical but since its minus 20 most of the time I am not able to get my wheels off and have a look. I do most of my own work when I can and really enjoy the RR but am still new to Land Rovers.