Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

03 Freelander Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 09:36 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Freelander Rough Idle

Ok guys I'm a noob with a nood question. I have an 03 Freelander with Kv6 engine. She was running fine but started the knocking everyone on this forum talks about along with the codes telling me it was the intake motors. So I ordered the motors and replaced them. Very easily done, unplug each motor, 4 screws out each motor, clean the area, put motors in making sure pegs aligned, 4 screws in done! Cleared out codes.

Now I see my engine bay is pretty dusty and decide to spray the engine clean with the hose. Quick spray to knock the dust off and the leaves that had piled up around the vents.

Get in the car, and start... she purrs like a kitten for about 5 secs then starts to putter and rough idle. Its a little better with AC on but she's died on me twice just going around the block. So my question is... Did I screw up changing the intake motors or did I just introduce too much moisture to the electronics? No codes now cause I'm too scared to drive her for any period of time. I've check the ignition coils and plug wires and all seem dry and snug. So I'm left dumbfounded with what to try next.

Any suggestions? Please help. I know she's a pain but I really love my Freelander! She's my weekend girl and I miss her.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:49 PM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The intake plenum butterfly valve rattle is usually caused by heat allowing the ball and socket joints on the valve controls to come apart. Once separated, the valves will no longer seat, with or without new motors. The KV6 is very sensitive to vacuum leaks. The motors you installed must seal tightly against the plenum or they will cause a lean code and a rough idle. Replacement motors usually do not come with new gaskets, and you must either order them separately, or use the old ones. It is easy to miss installing them, as they fit in a groove around the perimiter of the motor housing. Cheers.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:32 AM
3rd Gear

OK I found the culprit! Rtonder as you mentioned the gaskets were missing and left on the old motors. I cleaned them off and reused them. On replacing the upper motor I grabbed the flap control arm and it fell down, no tension whatsoever. It's all weekly wobbly now.

So I take it I need a new intake? Or is there a way to fix it? Please advise.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:40 PM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I have fixed them in the past but it is not a sure bet. You must pry off a cover that is glued (and afixed with screws) on the bottom of the plenum. Once off, you can reconnect the rods, and then glue the cover back on. It is hard to reseal, and you may simply create more vacuum leaks.

Finding a used plenum in good condition isn't all that hard. Since you understand how to detect the problem by pressing the control lever, you can check before purchase. You've probably found out that the new plenums are expensive.

Again, I have repaired them with mixed results, but enjoyed the experience. Having the intake function as it should completely changes how the vehicle runs. The Cosworth cam design, along with the 90 degree V-6 timing cycle gives it that throaty British growl when you punch it through all five gears at 5500 or so. When the power valves are working, you can feel them open and see it on the tachometer, and hear the purr change to a growl. Very fun. Especially in mud.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:43 AM
3rd Gear

Yeah after I posted I started checking out the prices. I'm torn between a new one and a used one. A new should have a warranty and last a while but a used one might put me in the same boat in a short amount of time. Either way I'll keep the old one if I can and try to fix it as a backup.If I go used I figure I get her back on the road for less than 1k. I need to buy a rear window motor and get the headliner redone. Not so worried about the headliner though.
So many plastic parts in the Freelander!!! They get and brittle. Thank for you help bro I'll keep you updated.