Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

Catalytic converter monitoring

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 09:47 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catalytic converter monitoring

Hello,
I have purchased a 2002 Freelander about a year ago at auction and on the surface appeared to be OK based on my lack of knowledge of the track record of these trucks. Long story short I had replaced the timing belts, tensioners and pulley, water pump, thermostat, lower control arms, VIS power valve, MAF, spark plugs,wires,battery,brakes, vaccum hoses, ECT and TMS sensors and added a electric fan relay kit after noticing the fans never turned on. I purchased the Ultraguage based on some recommendations in the forum to monitor and reset codes. So now I still have the Service Engine soon light on with P0171 and P1471. I did have P0174 on before but have noticed that is not showing up and I am not sure if that is because I now have a leak in the flex pipe on the right side exhaust after the cats? I removed the balance valve and checked to make sure the slide piece moved freely and took apart the motor and checked the solder connections and all seems OK. According to the Work manual those codes will not trip the Service engine soon indicator?

In any event,I went to try and get it inspected and it wouldn't pass, but he told me the catalytic monitors are not coming up. So I checked with the Ultragauge and found that all cat temp sensors are at -27F and not changing. I read in the Work Manual that if the front O2 sensors fails it disables the catalytic monitoring? So I am thinking about replacing the 2 front O2 sensors, but before I do wanted to get some advice and see if anybody can assist and convince me I am on the right track. I have already sunk alot of $$ into the truck and feel like I am on the verge of getting her to a point where I can drive it instead of abandoning all hope. Thanks in advance.